Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How Do i get a new plate?
maskell01

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
How Do i get a new plate?

Ive been doing a search,but have got myself well and truely confused......Again!

I only thought there were 2 options for plates:
These being age related and Q plates.

Now i have found that you can get a new plate:
How do i go about this?

Cheers

Aaron

rusty nuts

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Build the car with new parts. IIRC you may be able to use one reconditioned item?
maskell01

posted on 5/5/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Can you recon them yourself?
Such as rebuilding the engine?

chrisg

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
You'd have to prove that you'd rebuilt it to an "as new" condition, BigRich got a new plate on his car, he might have more info.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

adithorp

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
All major components must be new, with the exception of one that must be "reconditioned as new".

Whether doing the recon' yourself would be accepted would depend on the DVLA bod dealing with it.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

iank

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_10014246

Kit Cars

Where all the parts of a vehicle are supplied new by the manufacturer. Subject to the provision of satisfactory receipts and a certificate of newness these vehicles will be registered under a current registration mark.

Kit cars which have been built using not more than one reconditioned component will also be registered under a current mark. This is subject to the provision of satisfactory evidence that the component has been reconditioned to an "as new" standard. An IVA, ESVA, SVA or MSVA test will be required.

Things to be aware of:

New reg means new car emissions tests, and Tax rules

BEC will be harder (engine gearbox is one unit and you're only allowed one rebuilt item, so they will need to be bought new from Mr Honda, Mr Suzuki etc).

If you get an "arse" you'll need receipts down to the last washer to prove they're new (Most DVLAites aren't THAT bad). If you don't get a new reg you'll be on a Q as you won't have a donor.

Obviously it's going to cost more...

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Ninehigh

posted on 5/5/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you don't get a new reg you'll be on a Q as you won't have a donor.

That raises a question, my "donor" is currently being stripped for parts, then the engine and such will be headed for my garage. Do I just have to prove the engine came from a car as I'm not sure if he'll even have numberplates on it at this time (keeping the private plate he's got on it)

I'd rather have a K than a Q

DarrenW

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I built my car with some new, some 2nd hand and some reconditioned parts. After DVLA inspection i went to motor factors and got new plates. Couldnt find any 2nd hand ones with the correct letters and numbers.

madteg

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
I got new plate using one reconditioned part ( also on the bottom of my log book it says, special note CO 3.5 HC 1200 ).
adithorp

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
My R1 was accepted as my recon part. I put a note with my application stating that they engine and box were ONE integral and inseparably unit. Wasn't questioned and I got an 08 plate.

Others haven't been as fortunate however. Just comes down to who deals with the application.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

skodaman

posted on 5/5/09 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
'I built my car with some new, some 2nd hand and some reconditioned parts. After DVLA inspection i went to motor factors and got new plates. Couldnt find any 2nd hand ones with the correct letters and numbers.'

lol

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 6/5/09 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If you don't get a new reg you'll be on a Q as you won't have a donor.

That raises a question, my "donor" is currently being stripped for parts, then the engine and such will be headed for my garage. Do I just have to prove the engine came from a car as I'm not sure if he'll even have numberplates on it at this time (keeping the private plate he's got on it)

I'd rather have a K than a Q

Take a photo of the engine in the donor to prove it was fitted, they are cracking down on engines from donors as some were putting bike engine's down on the sierra V5 to make their lives easier. Better safe than sorry.

Other than that keep the V5 and the car on SORN - under no circumstances register it as scrapped and when you take the shell to the scrapman make sure he doesn't get any plates or id numbers to do the job for you (the police press scrapyards to register cars as scrapped if they can find any id to prevent ringing).

Though personally I want a Q reg, on a kitcar it's not a problem like it can be on tintops and you get a visible smoke only emissions test automatically at MOT. I can't see the reg from the drivers seat on my car

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Vindi_andy

posted on 6/5/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
I'm getting worried now because we were told by a woman at the DVLA at swansea to scrap the vehicle even though we want an age related plate.

We then submitted the application with a photocopy of the V5 which the woman queried when she rang for appointment.

Oh well I guess Ill find out friday

DarrenW

posted on 6/5/09 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I think you can scrap the donor - as in dispose of the bits you dont need - but you keep the V5 as a live document and dont surrender it. The downside is that you have to keep SORN running but the positive is you have the correct donor paperwork to hopefully qualify for age related plate should that be your desired choice.

Vindi_andy

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
In that case the woman should have made it clearer cos the wife surrendered the V5 but not before taking a photocopy
iank

posted on 6/5/09 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I think you can scrap the donor - as in dispose of the bits you dont need - but you keep the V5 as a live document and dont surrender it. The downside is that you have to keep SORN running but the positive is you have the correct donor paperwork to hopefully qualify for age related plate should that be your desired choice.

Scrap in the sense I used it means telling the DVLA it's scrapped (i.e. the section on the V5c has been completed). Getting rid of bits of metal isn't a problem, but if the scrap yard tell the DVLA the VIN or the reg it will get done for you.

My understanding is if the DVLA computer has been told the car is scrapped you can't use it as a 'donor' for the age related plate rules and you're supposed to get a Q.
However the DVLA people seem to make up rules as they go along and they might let you 'get away' with it.

--
Anonymous

coozer

posted on 6/5/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
I got an 08 plate declaring the engine as reconned.

Emmisions are set at 1993 for the original engine date and tax is £185 for a car over 1500cc.

V5 states at the bottom that all parts may not be new.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

iank

posted on 6/5/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
I got an 08 plate declaring the engine as reconned.

Emmisions are set at 1993 for the original engine date and tax is £185 for a car over 1500cc.

V5 states at the bottom that all parts may not be new.

Isn't the DVLA great, they don't even bother being consistent on the rules they publish
You got lucky with that one somehow.

--
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.