Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: robin hood 2b
*davies144*

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
robin hood 2b

hi looking at possibly buying a hood, and wonderd if there is anything other than the usual to look out for on these cars cheers ben
britishtrident

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
It is a a Robin Hood --- should be enough warning to steer clear..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

mr henderson

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I presume ths is a built one? If it is, and it's cheap enough, and it looks well built, then it might be OK, but don't confuse it with a proper se7en.

The kits are built to a (low) price, and that includes using the original Sierra IRS complete with the Ford crossmember. In fact, lots of the original car is used and leads to undesirable compromises. Avoid a 2b that doesn't have the proper front wishbone conversion

John

piddy

posted on 9/5/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
There is some ropey Robin Hoods out there, but after saying that there are some very well built ones as well. You say it is a 2B if it is, look at the front suspension you want the double wishbone type. The other type i.e. sliding pillar can be changed for wishbone but at a cost. I would look to pay about 1K less for a sliding pillar suspension car.
I built a Robin Hood about ten years ago it had sliding pillar suspension and I converted it to double wishbone and the car was great. A little bit heavy but apart from that it was fine.
On the plus side they are a bit more spacious than the standard seven.
Robin hood are not the only ones to use the original Sierra IRS complete with the Ford crossmember.

[Edited on 9/5/09 by piddy]

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 9/5/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by piddy
Hi.

Robin hood are not the only ones to use the original Sierra IRS complete with the Ford crossmember.

[Edited on 9/5/09 by piddy]

Yup Tiger did that too.

My 2B isn't the lightest or prettiest but its not all that bad, though a lot of that is down to extra work done by Stuart_G before he sold me the kit part built.

Having built an Indy before and was looking for more of a 'challenge' i have found it to be both irritating and rewarding doing the Hood. Now its on the road i'm actually surprised at how well it handles and holds the road. Dont get me wrong, its nowhere near an Indy in the dynamics department, but its a cheap and cheerful way onto the kitcar scene. Watch though for some which fall into the 'cheap an nasty' bracket.

Their new 'zero' kit is light years ahead of the 2B and is much nearer in design to a standard 7 type car.

*edited to agree with posts above and say avoid 2B's without the wishbone conversion. The sliding pillock setup is a bit rubbish according to the lads on RHOCAR

[Edited on 9/5/09 by scotlad]

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.