Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZZR Oil Level
Guinness

posted on 14/5/09 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
ZZR Oil Level

For the past three years I've been checking the oil level in the Indy using the sight glass and the destructions in the Haynes book of lies:-

"With the engine stopped (lie down in the road with a mirror and a torch, fiddle about until you can get the torch to shine on the sight glass and you can see the reflection in the mirror) oil level should be between the upper and lower marks in the sight glass."

And it's been fine. However I have just fitted a new oil cooler and lines. Previously the oil cooler was higher than the engine, but with the hoses in the top, so I figured the oil in the cooler would just stay in there when the engine stopped.

Now the oil cooler is about level with the crank and the only way I could get the hoses connected was to fit them at the bottom. I'm guessing that this may mean that the oil in the cooler will drain out when the engine is stopped. This additional oil is then going to give a false reading in the window when the engine is stopped. Then when I start the engine up again, and the oil pump starts, the cooler will fill up, emptying my sump!

Eeek.

So do I just over fill by the capacity of the cooler??

Or does anyone know where the oil level should be when the engine is running??

Mike

Coose

posted on 14/5/09 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmm, that's a very good question. Maybe the oil will run back, maybe it won't.

I would keep it at the top of the window to make sure there's enough oil. I doubt that an oil coolers-worth of oil will overfill it by too much....

Spin 'er off Well...

afj

posted on 15/5/09 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
can you remember where the level was when running

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Regsmonster

posted on 15/5/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Surely while it's running it's getting splashed about so there wouldn't be a level to see..............?

[Edited on 15/5/09 by Regsmonster]

afj

posted on 15/5/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
You will still see the level if you are running with an overfill, my r1 is filled to the top of the sight glass then 150ml -when running its at half sight glass

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.