Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: A How-To Guide... (For Everything!?!) People's opinions please!
Steve Hignett

posted on 14/5/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
A How-To Guide... (For Everything!?!) People's opinions please!

I am thinking of writing a “How-To” guide on a number of subjects.

I am well aware that I am not as experienced a builder as a LOT of people out there (read IN HERE! ), but I spend quite a bit of time on the forum and I often see questions that have been answered time after time...

I am also aware that there is a Search function, but most of us know that it isn’t the easiest thing to use/negotiate etc. Couple that together with the fact that most of the simple question/simple answer posts that go on the board are often submitted by the newer members of the forum means that they probably have less knowledge and an even more arduous task of fully getting the best out of the Search facility!

So, what I thought was that I would start to write an “Idiots Guide” to several of the FAQ’s that crop up. I would want it to take on a Step-by-Step Guide with Photos etc.
And I really do mean the simple things in Kit building, for example Wheel Arch fitting, Seat fitting etc. Please be aware, that I do not mean that everyone should find it simple (I do not wish to offend anyone’s skill level – I asked a whole heap of daft and stupid Q’s when I first set to this Forum!), what I mean by simple is – Once you’ve done it once, you would find it easier a second time, or probably more appropriately, once you’ve done it, you will wonder what you were worried about!

I don’t intend to write these things overnight, and I don’t intend to do them off the top of my head. I will need help from putting up my own posts about subjects that I am severely lacking in (Bike Carbs on a Zetec!!!), but I intend to try and write them whilst at work (maybe one subject a day or week – nothing too taxing!!!) using the info here and where I can find it.

I do intend them to be more of a “Starting Point” of information rather than pretend they have been written by the Zen Master KitCar Guru etc, so will intentionally write them to become a Base of knowledge (allowing them to be added to by Forum members!) with just a few pointers/shortcuts that will hopefully make sense when “on the job”

So what do people think?
Am I being a pretentious arse, and should mind my own business? Please tell me if I am! I’m always being told I love the sound of my own voice and I call a spade a spade, so I can take it too!

These are the things I was thinking about as a starter, but if it is generally accepted then I would want people to continue to add to this list and I will continue to write them...
• Front Wheelarch Mounting
• Seat Fitting
• Round Tube Marking/Drilling
• A GENERAL KC TIPS SECTION
• A GENERAL KC Wiring section (With assistance – You know who you are – BR, CM etc)
• Using Rivets/Rivnuts etc
• Mounting Rear Arches in Correct Place (for rear wheels)
• NoseCone Fitting
• Scuttle Fitting
• Bonnet Fitting (Bonnet Catches)
• Paddleshift Construction/Mounting/Operation
• Welding (only pointers and only MIG FROM ME! )
• Mold Making
• Fibreglass and Carbon Fibre Parts
• Suspension Settings (General Settings for specific types of Cars)
• Corner Weighting Tips
• Fishmouthing Round Tube ???
• Rosejoints Vs PolyBushes
• Cutting/Finishing of FG/CF/ALI etc
• Bike Carbs onto Zetec etc
• FG Repair/FG Prep/FG Painting etc
• Hand & Machine Polishing
• Basic (Objective!!!) Facts of BEC Vs CEC (or should that be CEC V’s BEC )

Well that’s about it from me for the second.

Please give me honest and forthright opinions on the subject. I am just U2Uing the boss (FoZZie ) to get her opinion and whether these things could be possibly made as Stickies...

Kind Regards,
Steve

(ps – sorry for the dissertation!)

[Edited on 14/5/09 by Steve Hignett]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
i woud certainly appreciate it, and would help too.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

200mph

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
This would be AMAZING

I seem to have forgotten anything I ever knew so am trying to read up, but the real nuggets of information have become diluted in my opinion so theres a lot of chaff to sort through before I have found the thing I'm looking for.

Then there's the fact many descriptions are written with a high level of assumed knowledge when one of the things that attracted me to a build was the chance to learn along the way. Something like this would help this.

Cheers

Mark

If it isn't broke, fix it until it is

Land Locked

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
As much as I am an experienced motor mechanic (not just a parts fitter), this sounds like an awesome idea.

I like the idea because I do tend to be pedantic to a fault and would like to know exactly what I need to do before starting a task.

As a newbie to the whole build scene I am finding HUGE gaps in my knowledge base.

Staple balls

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
That'd be great. do it!

viatron

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
thought about this myself, maybe worth considering a wiki as a good way of presenting to it but with approved authoring only?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
1 word.... wiki ...

Chris!!!!

handyandy

great idea, go for it.

andy

stevebubs

quote:
Originally posted by viatron
thought about this myself, maybe worth considering a wiki as a good way of presenting to it but with approved authoring only?

Bugger...too slow...

tegwin

That would be an awsome idea... would be happy to contribute where I can help...

You need to find some way of storing them so they are actually useable...

The only problem with guides for newbies is they never quite fit "their situation" so you will always get repeat questions...

The good thing about this forum is you can more or less get away with asking the same question as someone else without getting flamed..

On some other forums if you dare even think the same thread as someone else you get banished....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

clairetoo

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
You missed one think off the list that I am hopeless at - wiring a car from scratch
I stay away from electrics unless it actually packs in , so a guide to how it works(or dosnt :mad would be very usefull .

[Edited on 14/5/09 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

blakep82

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
the only issue i can think of is that everyones car is different to the next, so there would always be new threads with the same questions being asked

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
dont we have a wiki somewhere floating around??

no knocking the idea its great! but im sure that one was started about 4 years agfo

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

MakeEverything

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Good Idea. I thought about this a few weeks ago, but i really dont have the time.
Let us all know what section youre working on, and im sure youll get loads of info and pictures to add.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

stevebubs

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
You missed one think off the list that I am hopeless at - wiring a car from scratch
I stay away from electrics unless it actually packs in , so a guide to how it works(or dosnt :mad would be very usefull .

[Edited on 14/5/09 by clairetoo]

Claire,

The Haynes book of car electrics is very good.....even covers indicators!!!

stevebubs

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
Good Idea. I thought about this a few weeks ago, but i really dont have the time.
Let us all know what section youre working on, and im sure youll get loads of info and pictures to add.

Ditto. I thought about doing a zetec one. Got as far as sections and putting a bit of info into text file...

Andybarbet

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a spot on idea.

I have been trying to do that at work, im photographing every step of every job, complete idiots guide, as a newcomer last year to the business im now in, this would have been amazing for my training, one of the more experienced guys says its a waste of time because its really basic instructions but a new guy started and is using it as a bible ! When he has learned he need not use it anymore or the bits he already knows, he just ignores.

As you say, your not treating anyone like an idiot by doing this, if you know it, then ignore it, but i certainly would appreciate the guidance on a number of topics, i may even be able to input some bits myself once im more experienced in car building

AdamR

posted on 14/5/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Agree it's a great idea. Also agree a wiki would be the best format for this.

Looking forward to the mould/bodywork making ones!

thunderace

posted on 14/5/09 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
it's a great idea
go for it.

Ninehigh

posted on 14/5/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, maybe a separate topic at the top with all the "How-to's" in their own extra sections (mirroring the site, i.e. chassis, running gear etc)

Andi

posted on 14/5/09 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic idea.
I personally would love to see some how to videos, maybe its just me but things stick in my head more by watching.
Maybe a you tube type group?
Otherwise as this would be obviously painful to do, a write up with pics would help loads.

Fozzie

posted on 14/5/09 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
That will be some project there!

Are you sure you know what you are proposing to do Steve?

I only ask, as I am currently doing a major project...not car related....as in transcribing the hand written War Diaries (WW1) for 1914-19 for the 2nd Border Regiment....to go on a web site and be included in a Wiki.....and it really is very time consuming!

I can see a couple of subjects that, given the many different types of 7 we have, and of course the different applications that we use our cars for, could become a bone of contention......

I have u2u'd you

Now, I must go and talk to the 'Da Boss'...

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

welderman

posted on 15/5/09 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good plan there mate, but when will you have time to start your own car, let alone be on the end of the phone when mine goes wrong. .
Keep up the good worx.

Joe

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

iank

posted on 15/5/09 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
It's already been attempted (the wiki) and failed as only I and a small number of other people contributed anything.

DON'T click the link, the wiki may be trying to inject malware - see cd.thomson's post below.

It was here http://www.carbuilders.info/ but was vandalised a lot by spammers.
Now seems to have died a death

[Edited on 15/5/09 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jabbahutt

posted on 15/5/09 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
fantastic idea, it would be really helpful. forgive my ignorance but what is a wiki?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.