Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: This is definately a scam but how does it work?
asl

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
This is definately a scam but how does it work?

Hi. I'm selling a car on autotrader and received the following email:

Messageear Sir/Madam, I am interested in purchasing this vehicle ,it suits my requirements perfectly,I run two garages ,one in Dublin and the other in theNetherlands , i shuffle most of my time between the two . THESE ARE MY TERMS OF TRANSACTION: 1) I WANT YOU TO TELL ME YOUR LAST PRICE OF THE CAR 2] AND I SAW THE PICTURE OF THE CAR I WILL NEED MORE IF YOU CAN SEND IT TO ME. 3) I WILL BE PAYING WITH A BANKER'S DRAFT / CHEQUE WHICH I WILL ALLOWTO CLEAR BEFORE THE PICKUP/SHIPMENT OF THE CAR. 4) I WILL INCLUDE FEES FOR SHIPMENT IN PAYMENT, THIS MY SHIPPING AGENCY WILL USE FOR PICK-UP. The excess funds will go towards covering costs for shipping,shippersfees,insurance,tax and any other expenses that might be incurred gettingit down to the new owner.I will want you to get in touch with the following details if my termsare okay:FULL NAME........ ....................ADDRESS........................TELEPHONE NUMBERS....... ............( Mobile and Land) As soon as i have your details,i can have payment effectedimmediately,all things being equal,we should have this wrapped up by the end of this week.Pls note that you'll have to send on the balance on the funds that you'll get to my shipper so he can come attend to the pick up as soon as you make the car ready.I beleive that most transaction are based on trust,so i will look forward to a succesful transaction with you. I want you to know that I am very busy Man, I am presently here in ukpursuing my Real ESTATE Construction project this Real ESTATE business is really taken my whole time. And i will going back to singapore very soon bcos i have a buisness over there you will get the payment before 6 day. I travel alot in my line of buisness hence the reason why i wont be able to come and view the car at your end help me say hi to your family over there have a nice day,

Now, clearly this is some kind of scam but I really want to know how it works? Do you think when you accept the offer they ask for bank details and then fleece you or is there more to it than meets the eye???

theconrodkid

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
bankers drafts can be "cleared" then canceled weeks later....or he will over pay and ask for 1/2 the difference refunded,either way its a scam

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

omega0684

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Land Locked

posted on 15/5/09 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've read, they send the draft and initially it clears. As soon as you pay the "shipping company" it is dishonored. Leaving you short a very substantial sum of money....
jonesier1

posted on 15/5/09 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
they over pay and want to all of the money back on collection with menesses,cough up or else .a type of money laundering?.heard a story of a guy being thretened with a gun on a simular scam,over payed and didnt want the car just cash .don't no if it was true.
mad_dogpompey

posted on 15/5/09 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
i had one bit unrelated but i thought it was funny. put the car in auto trader. a week later some woman phoned up and said they could get me 500 pounds more than i wanted and sell it within a week, i said well why don t you buy it and you can sell it and make 500 in a week! she hung up! bloody scams! the worst one is the ebay one if you don t send it to the registered adress and they claim your liable!
asl

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ah, so it works by making you pay something out to the shipping company or by refunding an overpayment by them and then the bankers draft being cancelled. Very clever...... Thanks guys, I wasn't tempted to do it I was just just curiuos how it worked. mad_dogpompey, can you just give some more detailon the ebay scam as my wife uses it a lot and I am not aware of it. Cheers all

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.