Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Question for the 893 blade boys about noise
asl

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Question for the 893 blade boys about noise

Hi all. I purchased my car with the main reason being track days. The problem I am up against is noise. I am going to get the car noise tested so I know which tracks I can confidently book into.

I will probably change to a repackable exhaust but in a blade what is the most realistic noise limit I can aim for?

Can any of you running an 893 blade let me know what your current db level is and which exhaust you are running to achieve it?

Thanks all

mark chandler

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I cannot tell you what the DB level is on mine but with a gutted straight through R1 can it is LOUD.

I also have a standard R1 can which subdues things, the intake is also very noisy, if you lose the factory air box, mine is now ducted away to the front which made more difference than the exhaust.

You can also do things such as point the exhaust under the car.

Lydden hill is noise friendly so have a few goes there to start off with.

Regards Mark

Mark G

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I don't remember the figures but mine passed sva with the MK exhaust and a standard air box.

hicost blade

posted on 16/5/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
I am told the best way to get the noise levels down is with an AB Performance air box. Give Andy a ring im sure he will help you.

Hope this helps

Dave

ReMan

posted on 16/5/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
SVA'd at 98dB with standard airbox and R1 standard can (with a 90 deg exit bend)
as OK for Donnington @98 too
Looking out for a bandit can, they're quieter still.

Currentlr running (road) a Viper can and that's 'kin loud

bigfoot4616

posted on 16/5/09 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
mines a 919 which i wouldn't of thought would be any different and i was measured at croft last year at 100db. thats with an airbox and a 5" repackable exhaust.
f1ngers

posted on 16/5/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
Passed the noise test at SVA last month at 101db @ 7500rpm. Stuart Taylor supplied 5" exhaust can and open inlets (ie. No airbox or filters etc.)
Surprised or what! Thought it would definitely fail.

LBMEFM

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
I failed SVA with MK standard silencer at 103db, I have now fitted the larger MK silencer with built in "cat" and it reduced it to 98db, hope that helps. Barry
ReMan

posted on 17/5/09 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by f1ngers
Passed the noise test at SVA last month at 101db @ 7500rpm. Stuart Taylor supplied 5" exhaust can and open inlets (ie. No airbox or filters etc.)

Did it run properly?
Mine wont pull/rev properly without an airbox!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 17/5/09 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
The 893 is a fairly quiet beast, as far as bike engines go. With an airbox fitted, particularly, you'll get sub-100dB on any static test with a single bike can exhaust. It's surprising how noisy things get with just a few cc added, but at 893 things are manageable. Competition events require 105/110 depending on circuit restrictions, SR's, etc.
The problems start when you get a drive-by measurement, or a 'test' or 'track day'. The latter are sometimes 98dB static, which you might just get through, and that'll be it. Cadwell et. al. are your friends here. Circuits like Combe and Goodwood and the drive-by becomes an issue, the NIMBYs have really got the circuits over a barrel. It's really difficult to get any bike engine through a properly metered drive-by, especially if the wind is against you. Book a test or track and go see.
Most circuits are fairly good about it all, they'll often have 'average' noise quotas that the council (etc.) have set, so you'll end up out with Mondeos on a track/test day.

f1ngers

posted on 17/5/09 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
quote:
Originally posted by f1ngers

Did it run properly?
Mine wont pull/rev properly without an airbox!

It ran fine for SVA purposes but a quick blast down a 'private' road showed up some bad flat spots under load.
Also forgot to mention it sailed through emissions CO 2.81 (limit 3.5) HC 423 (limit 1200)

dean100yz

posted on 18/5/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting post!

I run a 918 in mine. Will get a 2nd lump as a spare cos there so cheap.

Mine has a TTS filter/jet kit and universal 'cherry bomb' silencer with 90 degree bend. I read around 105db on my cheapo fleabay reader. Its quite loud though and Im currently getting MAC to fit a quieter can

gixermark

posted on 19/5/09 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
for a temporary measure - or quick fix for tough circuits you could use a 'DB eater'

you can get them on ebay etc... some are better than others.. but they do work - i got my blade engined striker (with AB airbox) through donington with it - without it i was going home..

dean100yz

posted on 19/5/09 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gixermark
for a temporary measure - or quick fix for tough circuits you could use a 'DB eater'

you can get them on ebay etc... some are better than others.. but they do work - i got my blade engined striker (with AB airbox) through donington with it - without it i was going home..

Do they really work? Ive never tried them on road bike engines. Ive been told it makes the engine run really hot?

I know on MX bikes it muffled the sound a bit but they didnt last that long. for what its worth id get one incase the same happened at track for me

asl

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking to start off with buying a bigger exhaust. I'm either going to get one from MK, Car Builder Solutions or try 907 from this site as advertised on the special offers thread. Can anyone recommend the best place? I'm guessing I need to buy the biggest one?

Gixermark, are you refering to something like the BOLT-IN SILENCER BAFFLE from CBS? It carries a warning about engine performance, what does it mean?

Thanks all

dean100yz

posted on 19/5/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I know on the mx'ers it felt like the bike was being strangled. I wouldnt rev out as clean and felt flatter on power mid to top but these are single cylinder 4 bangers revving to 12k+ RPM

An inline 4 BEC maybe different??

TimC

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asl
Thanks for the input guys. I'm looking to start off with buying a bigger exhaust. I'm either going to get one from MK, Car Builder Solutions or try 907 from this site as advertised on the special offers thread. Can anyone recommend the best place? I'm guessing I need to buy the biggest one?

With no disrespect to the others, you want a proven solution. Go to either Simpson Race Exhausts or Tony Law.

Jon Ison

posted on 20/5/09 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
You know what worked for me ?

A home made airbox (to get under bonnet) with std blade filter element. An airbox of some kind I think is needed to keep noise down, the intake noise on bike engines is possibly as loud as the exhaust.

Guess what I used on the exit side........

A std blade can, back to back on dyno the std can whilst down on outright power gave a much better power spread and was much more drivable around town.

OK I admit it, from time to time in hooligan mode the race can came out...........

gixermark

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
db eater worked fine on mine, saves either having a heavy restrictive can on all the time, or swapping cans between tracks etc to suit..

temperatures were absolutely fine, and performance was barely if at all noticeable..

you could try a std blade exhaust from the bike, but for £15ish its handy to have a db eater in your spares box anyway..

as with all these things you'll get 101 opinions from the armchairs around the country, and althoug hthe DB eater ain't a 'solution' per say... it will get you through and work if.when required

gixermark

posted on 21/5/09 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dean100yz
I know on the mx'ers it felt like the bike was being strangled. I wouldnt rev out as clean and felt flatter on power mid to top but these are single cylinder 4 bangers revving to 12k+ RPM

An inline 4 BEC maybe different??

sorry - meant to comment on this.. as i had one in my 4 stroke moto x bike... they do totally strangle the crosser (250F in my case) and with the compression seemed to have a habit of going awol too... they are more restrictive than the db eater for car/bike application

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.