Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How hot might an inlet manifold get?
mr henderson

posted on 16/5/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
How hot might an inlet manifold get?

In my search for interesting questions to ask you guys and gals, I'm interested in this particular one because I see no reason why a custom inlet manifold should not be fabricated with GRP, especially with epoxy.

On could carve the desired shape, ensuring a smooth transition from round carb or throttle body exit to (quite often) oval inlets onto a pattern made from some suitable material, then lay it up with GRP.

Might be a good deal easier than fabricating it with aluminium etc

I'm aware that quite a few cars now (eg Mondeo duratec) use plastic inlet manifolds.

Any thoughts?

John

[Edited on 16/5/09 by mr henderson]

smart51

posted on 16/5/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
It bolts to your cylinder head and the water temperature in there can be over 100°C. The head itself will be hotter than the coolant. Yur choice of gasket would reduce the temperature transmitted to the plastic and the air flow will cool the manifold in use though not after the engine is switched off.
MakeEverything

posted on 16/5/09 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
The inlet would be cooled by Fuel / air so shouldnt get too hot. As Smart51 said, the gasket would insulate the inlet from heat, though some would be transferred via bolts as well. This could be overcome by felt / Nylon washers. I would suggest that GRP wouldnt be fuel resistant over aperiodof time? the last thing you need is melted resin in your inlet....

Just my thoughts.

Maybe modification of a plastic / ABS inlet would be more suitable?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Peteff

posted on 16/5/09 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Later Zetecs use plastic manifolds and bikes use rubber connectors so it must be fairly cool.

[Edited on 16/5/09 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 16/5/09 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
Quite a complex design to lay up though, not quite sure how you'd do it without using e.g. the "lost foam" process where you lay up GRP over a foam core than can be dissolved in a suitable solvent.

Temperature is not the only issue, the material needs excellent resistance to fuel and oil at elevated temperatures as well. I know this has been done using carbon/epoxy on competition cars, don't know if it would be suitable or cost effective for a road car though.

bimbleuk

posted on 17/5/09 at 04:42 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the link below which details the design of a Phenolic spacer to stop heat transfer to the inlet manifold. Made from epoxy resign so its all the the materials chosen really.

Phenolic spacer

Richard Quinn

posted on 17/5/09 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
On could carve the desired shape, ensuring a smooth transition from round carb or throttle body exit to (quite often) oval inlets onto a pattern made from some suitable material, then lay it up with GRP.
[Edited on 16/5/09 by mr henderson]
You need to bear in mind, as MikeRJ has said, that you need to be able to release the part from the male or female mould. If you picture a standard inlet manifold then you will understand that this could be a little difficult. Most of the one that I have seen in the past (mostly made by AIR) have used used epoxy/CF for the runners etc but have been bonded to an ally flange.

snapper

posted on 17/5/09 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
My ally inlet manifold gets to hot to touch.
It transfers the heat from the head with great efficiency.
I like the idea of the Phenolic spacer any one got a lowcost solution???

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rusty nuts

posted on 17/5/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Some inlets manifolds have a waterway to heat the manifold to stop carbs icing in cold weather .Engines like the Pinto, X flow etc have one whereas later injected engines like the Duratech may not have waterways and can get away with plastic manifolds. Then again the K series use plastic manifolds with a waterway but they cause problems . Might be better to look at ways to fabricate the manifold from ally and get it welded up?
Volvorsport

posted on 17/5/09 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
yes , ive made these in GRP and bonded to an ally manifold flange using polyester resin .

All the BMW motorsport ones are like that - ive made some of them too .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mj.slater2/intake1.JPG

[Edited on 17/5/09 by Volvorsport]

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

jeffw

posted on 17/5/09 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I've used Phoenilic spacers on the inlet manifold of the RS4 and it certainly helps with the heat, to the point that without them you couldn't rest your hand on the inlet once the car had been running for a while and after fitting them the where almost cool to the touch. I would have thought this is more of an issue with Turbo cars rather than NA engines.
MakeEverything

posted on 17/5/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
I've used Phoenilic spacers on the inlet manifold of the RS4 and it certainly helps with the heat, to the point that without them you couldn't rest your hand on the inlet once the car had been running for a while and after fitting them the where almost cool to the touch. I would have thought this is more of an issue with Turbo cars rather than NA engines.

In which case, this should improve the performance of the engine as it would keep the air charge cooler for longer before entering the engine?

I didnt realise thespacerwould have that much of an effect, so maybe ill look at that too.

Anyone thought about using This here?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

jeffw

posted on 17/5/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
We did see an improvement on the road with the amount of air the car was taking in up 10g/s to 435g/s. This equates to 544BHP.
MikeRJ

posted on 17/5/09 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport
yes , ive made these in GRP and bonded to an ally manifold flange using polyester resin .

Is that moulded in two halves and bonded together after?

[Edited on 17/5/09 by MikeRJ]

Volvorsport

posted on 17/5/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by Volvorsport

Is that moulded in two halves and bonded together after?

[Edited on 17/5/09 by MikeRJ]

yes .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 18/5/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
heres a jig we've just made for a customer to make GRP inlet manifolds from Rescued attachment IMG_0088.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0088.jpg

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 18/5/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
here Rescued attachment IMG_0090.jpg
Rescued attachment IMG_0090.jpg

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.