Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pipe extension
chrisg

posted on 17/5/09 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pipe extension

The sender unit I'm using in my fuel tank includes the output pipe for the tank. The problem is that its not long enough.

I need to extend the pipe by about 70mm, it's 7.9mm outside diameter galvanised steel pipe.

I was thinking about using rubber fuel pipe to extend it but, as it will be under the level of the fuel, is it fuel proof on the outside as well as the inside?

I have no idea!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

rusty nuts

posted on 17/5/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do you mean the hose is inside the tank Chris? If so then some cars that have an in tank pump use a flexi hose . Some of the Volvo's and Audi's spring to mind. May be worth getting some from a dealer? Not sure if normal fuel hose is suitable for in tank use.
chrisg

posted on 17/5/09 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it's going inside the tank.

Any idea of a model that might use some of this hose?

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

twybrow

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using regular hose in a tank, and although it has softened, it hasn't broken down. I guess you just need to keep an eye on it.
rusty nuts

posted on 17/5/09 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
The Audi 100 I changed the pump on was from about 1995 and the vOLVO I can't remember the model or year . Do Think Automotive list anything suitable?
hughpinder

posted on 18/5/09 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
The mondeo fuel pump has a short rubber hose inside - about the right diameter, but not 70mm long. I think the mgf/landrover fuel pump thing with the built in swirl pot has some hose attached too.
Regards
Hugh

martyn_16v

posted on 18/5/09 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy proper submersible fuel hose, but no idea where from. The rubber outer coating on normal fuel hose will eventually fall apart.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.