Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What air tools?
bassett

posted on 18/5/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
What air tools?

Hi, Ive had a air compressor for years now but only used it for spraying. After a weekend changing my Brembo calipers on my leon where even a 24" breaker bar wouldnt do but an impact gun would, ive decided i really need a set. Can anyone tell me if my wee compressor (50L and 2HP) will take air tools and any good air guns and hoses that would do for a weekend mechanic?
Cheers
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

Benzine

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
Did an impact gun shift something that a 24" bar couldn't? or is that speculation? My impact gun is running on a similar compressor to yours and couldn't shift my crank bolt, breaker bar could though. Maxed out it can just manage cylinder head bolts so it's still v useful and great for quick bolt removal, air saw is awesome too

[Edited on 18/5/09 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've bought most of my air tools at kitcar shows , and I find the `bergen` one's to be pretty tough as well as cheap
Allso Machine Mart's budget rattle guns seem quite good - I have been trying to break one at work for the last couple of month's without success !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

tomblyth

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
your compressor will most likely run everything except an air file ( these need 13 cfm at least! 1/2 inch impact drivers only need 4 or5 cfm ). but as you have a tank ! you can always give the job a good coat of looking at while the tank refills
Mark G

posted on 18/5/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a mechanic by trade and started out with the cheap clark stuff from machine mart. I'd be ok for the ocasional use but I found that it wasn't powerfull enough and soon found that I had to upgrade for something more expensive.

My clarke air gun would do up a wheel nut and stop at around 110nm. Ideal, where as my Mac tools gun I can only wind them in and nip them up otherwise I'm pretty sure it'd snap the bolt given half a chance.

I'd say go for an air ratchet and a gun if you want to make your work easier and faster, If you just want the power of air tools then don't bother as it costs to get good quality tools and as a weekend thing its just not worth it.

If you're worried about tight nuts/bolts you may want to invest in a 48" bar, I have one which cost around £25 and I've yet to find something too tight for it.

omega0684

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
i use a 24" bar with 1/2" drive and then just stick a 6ft scaffolding pole over it, i haven't come across anything that has put up a fight.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
A breaker bar is all well and good (yes I do have a snap-on one), but the advantage of an impact wrench is you need no reactive force, that is you dont have to put something in a vice or lock a wheel solidly to undo a wheelnut. I bought my chicargo pneumatic 'rattle gun' in 1980 - it cost me 2 weeks wages and has never been defeated and is still going strong.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

rusty nuts

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
i use a 24" bar with 1/2" drive and then just stick a 6ft scaffolding pole over it, i haven't come across anything that has put up a fight.

You haven't tried undoing the rear hub nut on a VW type2. I had a 10 ft scaffold pole on one once and couldn't shift it. As already suggested if your looking to buy air tools get the best you can afford

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/5/09 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding impact wrentches. I got a Metabo one from Screwfix (£39 with some bits) and it sorted me out when I was removing the clutch on my GSXR. It looks nicely made.

As stated previously, really good when you can't lock the thing and can only use the inertia of the assembly to provide the opposing torque (if you know what I mean, PhD in Physics means I have to talk like that! sorry).

Air ratchets are okay, but they are loud which isn't ideal if you are working in the open air and don't want to offend your neighbours. I have one but rarely use it for this reason.

Air rivetter is gods own tool. Absolute dream to use (£5 off e-bay for a tucker one in my case). Perfect rivets everytime with no worries of your Sikaflex going off while you set them.

Tyre inflator also gets my thumbs up, fabulous when doing jobs that you don't want to do (i.e. bike puncture repair).

Matt

hobbsy

posted on 18/5/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've been using my air cut off tool quite a lot lately.

I like the fact its smaller, lighter and more controllable than using a small grinder or similar.

Blow tool is handy and just about the cheapest air tool!

Air drill handy as well for jobs where you can't get in with a normal drill as its a fair bit smaller.

That said if you only really want a rattle gun the 24V leccy one's aren't bad and saves the size/noise/expensive of a compressor.

omega0684

posted on 18/5/09 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

You haven't tried undoing the rear hub nut on a VW type2. I had a 10 ft scaffold pole on one once and couldn't shift it.

rusty, r u sure that they wern't opposite thread hub nuts and you were in fact tightening the hub nut instead of releasing it

RickRick

posted on 19/5/09 at 06:04 AM Reply With Quote
eBay i just got a bluepoint (almost snapon) half inch rattle gun for £40.

90 degree air drill is useful, i've seen the 90 adapters you can get but there still bulky compared.

My compressors 60l 8cfm, i do run it down quite often, just bought another 50l compressor spares or repairs with no pump, 50l tank, £7

David Jenkins

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
One thing I found out - rattle guns like a BIG diameter air hose to work properly.

MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've come across lots of fasteners where a (good) impact gun has won over brute force. Especially useful when dismantling smaller assemblies off the car where trying to hold it still whilst you apply a scaffold pole would either be impossible or likely to cause damage.

RickRick

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
small pcl air line fittings also cause a servere restriction, takes a second or so just to fill an airline i've changed mine to the next size up pcl 25 i think
bassett

posted on 19/5/09 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Will this not undo reall tight stuff? Im thinking of complete suspension/steering overhaul on the Cupra R. The other reason i think i need one is the tight spaces where a bar is too bulky to get in. It sounds like the tank size may be a little of an issue but i only want to use the gun to undo the tightest of nuts then il use a ratchet - does this sound like it will fit the bill? Il also make sure i get a thick hose - but whats classed as a good size?.
Cheers
Adam

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

hobbsy

posted on 19/5/09 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Mine hose is 10mm ID,

Forget about those curly bright colour plasticky ones you get thrown in for free sometimes, they add a mega restriction.

Also some air fittings I've had of the same design have had a very different ID.

rusty nuts

posted on 19/5/09 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

You haven't tried undoing the rear hub nut on a VW type2. I had a 10 ft scaffold pole on one once and couldn't shift it.

rusty, r u sure that they wern't opposite thread hub nuts and you were in fact tightening the hub nut instead of releasing it

I've been in the motor trade for 42years , about 6 of them working for a VW main dealer so I will let you answer your own question. I ended up drill through the castelated nut and splitting it with a sharp chisel

vinnievector

posted on 25/5/09 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
your tools

Hi, I use air tools daily at work good hose fittings are a must and standard air hose .not the thin type .
all compressors operate at around 100psi out put its the size of tank that dictates how long it will run for .
if you plan to build cars for some time i would recommend buying your self air tools of good quality if not don't bother as elec drill breaker bars ext will be good for one off building .
I find a 90 deg die grinder Avery useful tool i have one from blue point its used daily and lasted me around five years now
cost me around 55 pound ,you can fit cutting disc to it 2in grit and scotch brite pads rotary files ,A good pistol drill as this will be smaller than your electric drill and therefore allow you to fit into smaller spaces tyre inflator blow gun ,i use 360 connectors Halfords sell them at a fiver each

Fred W B

posted on 26/5/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ive been meaning to ask, will a 50 L tank 210 l/min non chinese compressor run an air polisher, or must I go with an electric one?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 26/5/09 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 26/5/09 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.