Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ignorant Question
focijohn

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Ignorant Question

For a college assignment im doing a 4 minute presentation on kit cars and I cant seem to find the history of kit cars... i've been looking for a good half hour and cant find any thing. Does anyone have any links, docs...?
When SVA took over when kit cars first "came about" etc etc.

Help appreciated

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car a start?
omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
why don't you give Ron Champion a call?

sorry no help there but here might be of some use

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
edspurrier

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Start with specials base don eg Austin Seven.

Kit cars proper started AFAIK with Lotus 7, initially available as a kit of parts with a manual on how to dismantle the car which you had to follow backwards. This was a tax wheeze.

mistergrumpy

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
4 minutes? I reckon just explaining the SVA and registration processes would fill that with a vague introduction along the lines of people wanting a vehicle personal to their tastes, low volume produced and also wanting to experience building it and the achievements and milestones.
Failing that I know when IVA was introduced (Which I may add DVLA don't!)

focijohn

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_car a start?

....i can be thick at times

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

omega0684

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
i bet if you talk about your mnr for 4 minutes most people will be blown away, then just mentions other makes and models and the fact that it was started of by ron champion, you audience isn't going to know any different unless they are builders themselves

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
focijohn

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
should mention my teacher is a woman, so 30 seconds on any given area and then move on

tomprescott

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
What do you mean by college? If its a piece for uni work then you'll (need) want a references page and if thats the case don't reference wiki. Use the links from it to find academically acceptable references.
Bit of advice too (apoligies if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs), have basic info on slides and elaborate with speach - nothing more boring than someone reading exactly the same as is written on the slides!

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 19/5/09 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
i did a presentation on 7's 3 years ago. 4 mins is nothing!!!!!

an interested someone asked a question, time ran on and i was asked to wind up the presentation after 50 minutes.

The things people were most interested in was the fact that the ecotec and retop engine could be mated up to an opel manta 1.8 gearbox and then sent back to a sierra diff. That sort of stuff.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

austin man

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
oooooh what a sexist statement ur gonna burn in hell me thinks, Im sure there is a lady on here whose car has recently been in a certain kit car magazine 30 seconds is that not our attention span when listening to the good lady??

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Fozzie

posted on 19/5/09 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
oooooh what a sexist statement ur gonna burn in hell me thinks, Im sure there is a lady on here whose car has recently been in a certain kit car magazine 30 seconds is that not our attention span when listening to the good lady??

You little tinker! ....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

chrisg

posted on 19/5/09 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
There's a new kit car history book coming out from Haynes, might be a bit late for you though!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

RK

posted on 20/5/09 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
Your problem is keeping it concise. 4 mins is not long enough to begin.
mad4x4

posted on 20/5/09 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
4 Mins is way to short for any presentation. Look at 20 mins then it will give you time to discuss points rather than mention the IVA as three letters.

Keep the presentation to about 5 slides with only about 5 points per slide.

as said before there is nothing worse than sitting reading screens of presentation and the speaker saying "See the screen".

Wing it don;t read off of notes. Know your subject and use the presentation as you pointers, Look at the audience don;t stare at a cheat sheet or the floor. etc

iank

posted on 20/5/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
The way I approach very short presentations is to use a lot of photos (used to be slides) and blast through them using each picture as a prompt for a bit of explanation of what it is and what it means. Quick snappy and covers the whole history as an overview rather than going into detail a lot of people aren't going to be interested in.
Grab some pictures off the web of 1 or 2 slides on each

The very earliest cars - often built in a garage by an enthusiast.
Early coachbuilt cars (originally you used to buy a chassis and running gear from one company and have a coachbuilder make whatever body you fancied).
50's Specials
Lotus 7
Some of the wacky creations from the 60's and 70's (lots of weird and wonderful shapes built onto mini running gear.
Beach Buggies
Dutton's - popularised
Replicas - Cobras, D type jags
On to the 90's - more stringent relations introduced SVA
Ultima, Murata, Page full of 7's, page full of cobras
2000's Regulations brought up to date to European requirements - IVA
Bit about the rising popularity of BEC's
Bit about racing kits/specials.

Something for every kind of car nut though 4mins is going to be a challenge - probably around 5-10 seconds a slide - keeps it very snappy and visual which is great for the attention deficit generation.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

focijohn

posted on 20/5/09 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomprescott
What do you mean by college? If its a piece for uni work then you'll (need) want a references page and if thats the case don't reference wiki. Use the links from it to find academically acceptable references.
Bit of advice too (apoligies if I'm teaching you how to suck eggs), have basic info on slides and elaborate with speach - nothing more boring than someone reading exactly the same as is written on the slides!

Not uni... college

I know it was a sexist statement (not aimed to anyone on here) but if you knew my teacher you would all understand.

The whole thing is a waste of time.... 10-15 words max per slide, but if it helps me pass, who am i to grumble.

Thanks for that iank, few ifs ands n buts and pictures she'll be good.

Cheers all

John

Macbeast

posted on 21/5/09 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Lotus Vl was also sold as a kit
Peteff

posted on 21/5/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Lotus Vl was also sold as a kit

Morris Minor 1000 was sold as a kit of parts to avoid tax originally.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Macbeast

posted on 21/5/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
By coincidence, I picked up a load of old car magazines today. Car Mechanics for 1959 is full of advertisements for fibreglass bodies for Austin 7s and there is a regular feature on "Specials"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.