Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laminated rear screens
chrisg

posted on 21/5/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Laminated rear screens

Had an interesting disscusion last night about glass.

No, really.

One of the club members is looking for a screen for his car and has been looking at rear screens.

I said I thought it probably wouldn't work because of the heating elements and the fact that rear screens are usually safetyy glass, not lamin ated.

He's been told that many modern cars have laminated rear screens too.

Is he right?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 21/5/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can only speak for Honda's, L Rover's and Daewoo's all of which are toughened glass.

Pete.

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/5/09 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
no I think he's totally wrong

their toughened as you say and no use for a windscreen, infact quite dangerous if they explode at high speed due to the glass beads getting in your eyes.

I've been told a one off curved rear screen costs around £500 by a guy who had one make for his very rare kit car when he accidentally broke the last one, this is about 2 years ago. I'm sure a front laminated one would be even more expensive

[Edited on 21/5/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BillHoll

posted on 21/5/09 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
I work for one of the largest global glass manufacturers (Pilkington) and the answer is that laminated rear screens are only normally specified if the vehicle has rear facing seats otherwise the rule is toughned. Some of the higher end car manufacturers do use laminated occaisionaly for sound proofing qualities but this is not the norm
graememk

posted on 21/5/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
robinhood did a prototype with the rear screen off the sierra on the front.

it looked shit

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.