Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Stripped thread M16 caliper
twybrow

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Stripped thread M16 caliper

I cheered this evening, as I finally managed to bleed my new brake setup (twin M/C, with bias bar). A few moments later, I began to cry, as I realised that I have stripped the thread on the bleed nipple on the caliper!

Anyone know of a solution to a stripped internal thread for these bleed nipples? Can you drill/tap and buy oversized bleed nipples (current is M10 I believe)? Any other solutions? Many thanks.

Snap-off

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Helicoil?
britishtrident

posted on 22/5/09 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.agriemach.com/product_info.php?cPath=0_63&products_id=868 Rescued attachment Bleedert.jpg
Rescued attachment Bleedert.jpg

prawnabie

posted on 22/5/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
If you have just got a pair of second hand calipers on and not rebuilt them, it may be cheaper to find another second hand one.
twybrow

posted on 22/5/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. I have a set of Wilwood Powerlites to put on, but as I only have a week until the SVA retest, I was planning to go through the test on the M16s, then change it to the Wilwoods later on. I am reluctant to pick up another caliper just for the test....

Otherwise, if all else fails, I need a new set of braided brake hoses to connect into the Wilwoods....

I wonder what is going to go wrong next!!!??

twybrow

posted on 23/5/09 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Woo hoo! It turned out when I took it apart and cleaned the thread, that most of the damage was on the nipple. I have got an old one back in now, which is working a treat. Next problem is my brake light switch is now leaking.... Again!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.