Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: st170 tappet clearances
mr zefect

posted on 23/5/09 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
st170 tappet clearances

Does any one no if the tappet clearances can be checked if so how and where do you buy shims from and what gap should they be i only ask becouse when running it up its a bit tappatty i dont no if i have mixed up a few followers as a freind of mine decided to start picking them up when i had them all in order any help would be greatfull.

scutter

posted on 23/5/09 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Intake valve clearance (at 20øC ñ 5øC) 0.11-0.18mm
Exhaust valve clearance (at 20øC ñ 5øC) 0.27-0.34mm

I brought my shims from Ford direct only £1.40 each, cheaper than getting the local engine builder to grind down my old ones.

THIS shows a useful table.

ATB Dan.

[Edited on 23/5/09 by scutter]

[Edited on 23/5/09 by scutter]

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr zefect

posted on 23/5/09 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
So i m i right in saying you get the valve on fully closed as you can then measure the clearance. also if i took the followers out and looked at the numbers on the bottom wood the inlet ones be marked with ruflly the same numbers and the same for the out let may be i have got a few round the wrong way as this enging was not tappitty before. ps thanks for your reply very helpfull i am more familler with silver top engines so i need lots of help.

scutter

posted on 24/5/09 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, When the tip of the cam is pointing away from the valve bucket then measure away.
I found the shims to have worn slightly so measured them with the calipers, roughly all the inlets should be the same and also the exhaust.

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ncoll

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
The ST170's that i have been involved with have all got solid cam followers/buckets. They are not like the blacktop, with a biscuit shim above the follower. 0.11mm seems a bit tight for the inlet, 0.25mm seems more in the ball park to me. I would check with your local main ford dealer. You shouldn't need to buy anymore cam followers as they were alright before your friend shuffled them, as you have the engine assembled measure the valve clearance with a feeler gauge, add this number to the number etched on the underside of the cam follower/bucket . Subtract the valve clearance you want,this number will give you the cam follower you need for the correct clearance from the sixteen followers you have.

Good Luck

Neil Collingwood

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.