Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flywheel lightening - negates the advantage of BEC's ??
Ivan

posted on 24/5/09 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Flywheel lightening - negates the advantage of BEC's ??

Just reading an article on flywheels by Jake Venter in SA's Car Magazine.

He says "an old (approximate) rule of thumb says that 0.15 kg taken from the pistons will have the same effect as taking 1,5 kg from the flywheel or 150kg from the total mass of the car" when it comes to the effect on acceleration.

So for those of you with CEC's who want to compete with the BEC brigade - here's part of the answer - just please get it done professionally and bare in mind the impact on torsional vibration - see this http://www.indiacar.com/infobank/torsional_vibration.htm

clairetoo

posted on 24/5/09 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've known this for years - my V6 runs ally pullies at the front , and 7lb ally flywheel (stock cast iron one is 28lb )
All in I've taken something like 35lb's of rotating mass off my engine
Anything in the engine that rotates or goes up and down takes power to make it do so.........

[Edited on 24/5/09 by clairetoo]

[Edited on 24/5/09 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Mark G

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
On a similar note, a lightened prop, driveshafts, brakes, wheels or tyres will also make a good improvement.

nitram38

posted on 24/5/09 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Remember though, that flywheels not only take energy, they give it back.
This smooths power delivery on the road in normal driving.
We can all build out and out racing engines, but living with them is another issue.

Worzey

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Just got my car back on the road today after having new cams and a lightweight flywheel fitted. (4AGE 20v ST).

It certainly rev's much, much faster and intial impressions are very good.

I've noticed that while acceleration is excellent the engine braking also seems to have increased as well - i.e. it slows faster when you lift off - is this to be expected?

I have to get it setup correctly on a rolling road. It hunts like crazy on a very rough idle - due I assume to the Flywheel and Cams.

I'll post some before and after figures although the Flywheel won't add any BHP I hope the Cams, Polish and Port will help

Anyone wan't a used 212mm 4AGE 20v Flywheel or Cams?

nitram38

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Revs will drop off quicker as there is no stored inertia in the flywheel

mr henderson

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
This discussion is a good reminder of the need to build the car (of whatever type) to suit the condions in which it is to be used.

Track and competition is entirely different to road use

John

Ferg

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
When I built the Libra a mate of mine took as much off the flywheel as he could and the thing drives fine, but the overall weight of the car is well down on the original.

Interestingly, my son is (very slowly) building a Velocity which he is intentionally building with a little 1100 X-Flow. I was chatting to my mate about the car and he was adamant that inspite of it's lowly power it was always worth lightening flywheels in lightweight cars...

Worzey

posted on 24/5/09 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
I got my car re-built because I want to do many more trackdays.

It's road use is always limited due to the stripped out nature of the car.

It doesn't get used on the road that much hence the reason I was prepared to sacrifice some driveability for out-right performance.

Not everyones cup-of-tea but it suits me.

Caterham R400

Liam

posted on 24/5/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Also remember that this effect is gear dependent. The apparent weight loss (or power gain) is only anything like the figure quoted above in first gear. It diminishes significantly as you go up the cogs. So you might feel an extra 20-30bhp off the line in first, but not really much at all at driving/racing speeds, and 0 increase in ultimate top speed.

Well worth doing, but wont turn your pinto into a busa

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.