Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Complete Chassis Weight
flak monkey

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Complete Chassis Weight

Ummm as title, if anyone wants to know, as i seem to remember people asking a while back.

The weight is for a 'book' chassis with the mods suggested by cymtriks. And it includes the suspension bits So its the whole thing. The difference in weight between the modded version and the standard chassis is only a few kg. And the de dion chassis weighs 2kg more.

Hope this helps a few people....has anyone actually weighed a chassis? If so how do your figures compare?

Cheers
David

ignore the cog measurements, they are relative to my axis...which isnt in the right place

[Edited on 3/3/04 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Kitlooney1000

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
I know its sad, when i finished the chassis, i jumped on the bathroom scales(out in the shed) with the chassis, worked out that it weighed 45kgs with out the floor
flak monkey

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right to me.

That measurment also includes a hefty roll bar (50mm x 2mm thick), the floor (13kg ish) the trans tunnel panneled in (12kg ish), all the suspension bits (9kg ish). So 45kg will be about right for just a chassis.

David

Sera

greggors84

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
When i made a model of the chassis, i made it out of solid bars, i take it you made it out of RHS?

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

flak monkey

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
I originally made it out of solid, but this afternoon i went back and made it all hollow section yes. It assumes 1.6mm wall thickness on the tubes as per the book.

David

Sera

greggors84

posted on 3/3/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
What program are you using? I had problems making the bars that were angles in 2 planes, i made new datum planes for some but others i couldnt make them accurate. The one i had trouble was, was the one with the rear top wishbone bracket.

By the way im using pro e wildfire.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

flak monkey

posted on 3/3/04 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
I use Pro Desktop 2000i2.

I drew mine in on a new workplane, that took ages to get in the right place (and i think they still miss by about 0.5mm) Thinking about it now i would have converted my 3d drawing to 2d. Then taken the angles and measurements from that drawing, made the new parts and added them in... didnt think of that at the time

Good luck

David

Sera

MustangSix

posted on 3/3/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
without floors, mine was 123lbs (56k), but it is a larger than book version.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/3/04 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is (WAS) 55Kg without the floor, book chassis but with some (a lot) of extra strengthening Rescued attachment Chassis Weight.jpg
Rescued attachment Chassis Weight.jpg

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Findlay234

posted on 4/3/04 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
My Luego with roll bar and floor was about 90-95 kg. Some of the tubes in the rear are much thicker tho to hold the irs but it all looks about right to me
sgraber

posted on 4/3/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but my middy chassis (which is huge by locost standards) was 112Kg with all paneling.

How does the typical Locost weight compare to the original Lotus design weight? I mean, a Locost looks positively massive compared to the spindly original!

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
I love speed :-P

posted on 4/3/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
yes but what flat monkey isnt telling u is that he cheated doing his model where as i am going mine the proper way but he now has got the nose and a scuttle on now

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 5/3/04 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
OK ok,....i cheated and did it the easy way yes. But it will make no difference to the weight r other measurements you take from it

I now have, bonnet, scuttle, nose cone, front cycle wings and wheels on my picture, see below. But i dont think the nose cone is quite right somewhere.

Cheers
David

PS spot the stray trailing arm in that pic.... oops (fixed now though)

[Edited on 7/3/04 by flak monkey] Rescued attachment Looking nice, if i do say so.jpg
Rescued attachment Looking nice, if i do say so.jpg

Sera

ed_crouch

posted on 6/3/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
you have a talent there! And not enough lectures, obviously. Bloody freshers!!

Good model: i understand how long that takes to do: nice one.

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

flak monkey

posted on 6/3/04 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ed

Its got a full set of panels now the pic is in my photo archive if anyone is interested

I have just spent my evenings working on it...taken quite a while.

Cheers
David

Sera

cymtriks

posted on 7/3/04 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Estimated weight

The weight estimate for the complete welded structure, without aluminium panels but with steel panels, as ouput from my analysis is 180 lbs. With all panels and brackets the weight is probably not far off 200lbs. Almost identical to the 89 Kg estimated in one of the earlier posts in this thread.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.