Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: inspection before chassis number at leeds?
andrew-theasby

posted on 25/5/09 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
inspection before chassis number at leeds?

I wrote a letter to leeds dvla asking for a chassis/vin number and they phoned me back saying that i need to take my car for an inspection at the rothwell test centre before theyll issue one (not an iva yet, thats to do with vosa). Have i asked for the wrong thing or is this normal at leeds? My mate just went into beverley and they gave him one over the counter, and ive heard of other people making them up. What state state should i take the car in? Can it fail?? I wanted to get the chassis number sorted earlier so its not another thing where ill be waiting for paperwork later on.
nitram38

posted on 25/5/09 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Covered loads of times........
Depends on your local DVLA office and their interpretation of the rules.
Think of it this way.
Imported cars come with a Vin number that was not issued by the DVLA and after sva/iva, this number is accepted by the DVLA, so why not your own chassis numbers?
If you go this route, I have heard stories on here of the local DVLA office not accepting the Vin chassis number and making them accept another DVLA issed one.
Personally, I made my own on the F1-2 and now on the MotaLeira and have not had a problem (although the MotaLeira inspection is tomorrow!).
The number can be formed of a combination of up to 17 numbers/letters with some exclusions, the letters I,O & Q (there maybe somemore exclusions).

andrew-theasby

posted on 25/5/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
So whats involved with the inspection that they want to do?
nitram38

posted on 25/5/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you have only had a "conversation" about it, personally I would forget it and then do my own Vin.
At the very worst, they can make you stamp another number on your chassis.
It is not yet a prisonable offence to get it wrong!
If you have any doubts about your choosen number, then look up Vin checkers on google.
Try your own tintop Vin first so you can see the Vin checker working, then try your choosen locost Vin.
If it comes back as "not known", then your number should be ok.
Don't worry too much. I want 6 numbers on the lotto and look how hard that is!
17 numbers/letters that match an existing Vin would be nearly impossible to come up with.

andrew-theasby

posted on 25/5/09 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
See your point, just thought it would be a case of them simply giving me a number like at beverley, wish id not asked them now Thanks
grusks2

posted on 25/5/09 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
The dvl at Chelmsford ( essex ) was a bit unhappy about me when i made my own up as they said it must contain a certain amount of numbers and letter, but mine did, but i think they just like doing there bit.

Mine was made up consisting of the Ral colour code, start date of my build, part of my surname and car mac.

As the number actually meant something rather then a just any old number he said that was fine...

At the inspection, they check the engine number, chassis number ( if your've made it ) a basic look over the car and take photos of the engine/chassis number, ask what cra/bike the engine is from, speedo reading.

[Edited on 25/5/09 by grusks2]

http://mac1worxbuild.wordpress.com/

forgot my old password so another username doh

Scoobythedog

posted on 25/5/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
I made mine up, used the model of the car, 2009 for the year, and a few initials,

Because it started with the model of the car, I was going to say the kit company gave me the number if I was asked. SVA'd at beverley, they were ok with it, DVLA inspected at rothwell, he just looked and matched it to the paperwork I had given DVLA in Leeds, he was happy. He tried the old trick of asking for an MOT cert, but backed down on this.

Make your own up, 17 digits, dont use IOQ,

Scooby

andrew-theasby

posted on 26/5/09 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
So you still have to have the inspection if you make your own number up then?
MautoK

posted on 27/5/09 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
I wrote to the local DVLA quoting the VIN I'd made up.
They wrote back saying 'OK'
No problems.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

nitram38

posted on 27/5/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Well Wimbledon VRO accepted my Vin number yesterday (2nd car through there) and gave me a nice new 09 registration, without even querying it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.