Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Pump recommendations
wrigglypig

posted on 26/5/09 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Pump recommendations

Having bought back my car I built 8 years ago, the guy I bought it off has made a few alterations to odds and sods. The engine runs rough despite all ignition being spot on plugs points condenser etc etc I think the problem is fuel starvation it only happens at higher revs. I.e. set off hard n 1st then 2nd and before you can get 3rd it is spluttering like hell, ease off the throttle for a few seconds and it will pick up again. So its not down to the engine speed its just how quick it does it, I dont think it is fuel surge as the tank is full up , filters are clean. But its on the old mechanical fuel pump, so I would like to go electric, I dont want to spend a fortune on one and there is no tank return and it never has had one in the past and the origional cortina did nt have one.

Ps the breather is clear and there is no debris in the float bowl. I just think the pump is crap, will the fact is has a fast road cam in make it thirstier under load??

Anyone recommend a budget pump?
Suggestions

Cheers guys

Kev

Xtreme Kermit

posted on 26/5/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
My electrical pump died last year, so I replaced it with a facet red-top.

Set it up to 3psi with a regulator and it works a treat.

Mine is a 160 bhp pinto on twin 45 webers.

Milage will vary - from ow to ooooo...

britishtrident

posted on 26/5/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Which engine ? usually brand new mechanicsal pumps for older Fords can be found for a tenner. (istr I have a new pump for a Pinto or CVH somewhere).

However most likely cause is debris in the fuel line disconnect the fuel pump and both sides, also disconnect from the carb and drain the fuel tank

With a foot pump low pressure airline blow the lines front the front towards the rear end.

With the filler cap removed blow from the tank connection into the tank.

Take the lid off the carb and removed the float valve and clean out any crud trapped above it..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

wrigglypig

posted on 26/5/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmmmm, I am going to have to give it a thorough going ovr tomorrow night, its to cold now, The engine is a 2 litre pinto, I did fit a spare pump I have and then could nt get it to prime/pump I might pull the pushrod out and check it aint worn. The carb is the std one and was brand new 18 years ago and still looks it its only done 9000 miles. do pumps have to go near the tank or will they work "pulling" from the front, I once fitted an old mini su to a cavalier whan the pump cam lobe wore out and it went for years.

Kev

rusty nuts

posted on 26/5/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've had several problems over the years with worn pump pushrods on various motors over the years so well worth checking.. Have also had them start to sieze in the fuel pump mounting if it is made of Bakelite type stuff, a quick polish of the push rod and cleaning the bore of the mount helps.
r1_pete

posted on 26/5/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you decide to go with an electric pump, I can reccomend these , you'll need a pair of old SU type banjo's and bolts, but the pump is excellent.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 27/5/09 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Mention of pump push rods brings back some memory from the dim and distant --

I don't know about the Pinto but the Chrysler 180 used the same style of pump as the Pinto and the CVH and the pump push rod used to gum up in its guide tube

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.