Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crush tube length
tegwin

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Crush tube length

I bought a kit of bushes that are suposed to be designed to fit my car..

However.. when I went to fit them I discovered that the total width of the wishbone tube and two bush heads comes to 42mm..

The crush tubes I have are 38mm

I might be able to squash the bush a LOT to get it to bite on the crush tube..

But should the crush tube ideally be longer so it bites on the suspension hangers much tighter than the actuall poly bush?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

James

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Ha hah!

Way to start a big argument from the old days!

In my opinion, the crush tube should be ever so slightly wider than the bushes. That way the wishbone and bush will rotate around the stationary crush tube.

If the crush tube is too much wider then the wishbone may slide laterally... which you don't want. So I'm talking wider by less than 1mm!

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mark chandler

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
On everything else with polybushes that I have seen, landrovers, range rovers etc the crush tube is flush to the bush allowing it to rotate without lateral movement.

So us southerners are in agreement here

afj

posted on 29/5/09 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James

If the crush tube is too much wider then the wishbone may slide laterally... which you don't want. So I'm talking wider by less than 1mm!

HTH,
James

This is a very good point i had to disasemble the rear nearside lower bone as when i was checking all of the nuts and bolts i noticed that with the hand brake on there was a far bit of movenment so i trimed the bush down by 2 mm

eerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

nick205

posted on 29/5/09 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
IMHO the crush tube should be +0.5mm wider than the total thickness of the press fitted bushes. The tube will then be clamped firmly before the bracket starts clamping the bushes therefore allowing free rotation of the bushes around the crush tube.

As per AFJ above - on my Indy I had to selectively assemble the bushes and crush tubes to get the best fit and even then ended up trimming some of the crush tubes to take out any lateral movement.

wilkingj

posted on 29/5/09 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
The crush tube MUST be done up tight and solid.

The Pivot point is the crush tube, NOT the Bolt, which is the securing device.

Test by assembling the bush, and nipping up in a vice. You should have a smooth movement of the arm, and no lateral movement in the bush.

You can pad out the crush tube with small washers or by turning down the outside of the bush in a lathe. Or by reducing the width of the tube on the arm, but that messes up the integrity of the powder coating. I tuned down the bush.

DO NOT have a loose bolt to allow the arm to turn.
1. It wears the Bolt and can become dangerous if it breaks.
2. A loose bolt will allow the holes in the brackets to elongelate / oval and mean you will have to change them later on. Again potentially dangerous and a MoT fail through free play.

Either get correct lengths of crush tubes, or pad with small washer, or turn down the poly bush to give the correct clamping and clearance.

This is really the only way to solve this.

Finally lubricate the poly bushes with Silicone Rubber grease (Tube from Maplins is £3.99, or a grease suitable for rubber ONLY. (I think code RE90X - its in a TUBE not a can of spray)
Do not use mineral / axle / wheel bearing grease.

[Edited on 29/5/2009 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 29/5/09 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm.. looks like I will have to get in touch with the suppliers...

At £11 per bush.. and having 24 on the car.... that was a lot of money for it to be wrong!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

3GEComponents

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

At £11 per bush..

How much?

Looks like i should revise my prices

http://www.3gecomponents.com/templates1/view_product.php?product=2039&site=63&department=116

tegwin

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Those wouldnt fit though!

Its an unusal car with even more obscure parts....

procomp

posted on 29/5/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

What needs to be established first is whether we are talking about genuine Polly bushes IE superflex etc or the cheap nasty things that the general kit car market are using.

The genuine type should be as mentioned above flush. The cheap versions need to be 0.25 mm longer to actually allow free movement.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 29/5/09 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote

Popcorn - check

Comfy chair - check

Ok we're ready.....

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

tegwin

posted on 29/5/09 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
These are proper superflex bushes... the expensive ones!

I guess its not a problem that the two halves of the bush dont meet inside the wishbone tube?

I emailed the supplier asking what they would suggest....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.