Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: black tint to coolant , Soot?
bigpig

posted on 30/5/09 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
black tint to coolant , Soot?

I tried to post earlier but something went amis.

I've got a problem in that my coolant seems to take on a black tint. I've flushed out with 60 odd litres of water to clear everything out and lots of brown then black silt. The water seems as if the black substance is in suspension, which I tought could be exhaust soot.

The engine is one I bought from a guy on locost builders, which had new crank shells and gaskets, so I assume its in reasonable condition.

I've tried reving it a bit and on a few times foam appeared. When reving it bubbles appeared in the coolant, but as I've flushed and refilled the coolant several times I don't know if thats just air pockets shifting.

Now my thougths are warped head/defective gasket/crack.

I've checked the head bolts and all are fine. The exhaust is clear, no smoke what so ever (not white, blue or black).

It doesn't get exceptionally hot (I've had it up to 80deg C).

There doesn't seem to be oil in the coolant (i.e. no film on the surface once drained or in the header). The oil has no guiness look either.

Any suggestions?

40inches

posted on 30/5/09 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I take it that there is antifreeze in the water, anifreeze inhibits corrosion, the only time I have seen black coolant it was caused by iron corrosion caused by lack of said antifreeze. There may be other reasons, but can't think of any. Anyone?
MautoK

posted on 30/5/09 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've currently got the head off my MK Pinto in an effort to fix overheating. I used a suction oil extractor to get the last bit of water out of the water jacket and got some black gloop. I tipped the water out to leave the residue in a container - now it's dried out and looks a bit like coffee grounds, but actually it must be ferrous oxide. Some is very fine, some is little flakes.

I thought, as you, that the block or head was cracked (may still be) or that the gasket had failed - but they all look OK.
However, my car was overheating really badly. It boiled after only 5 or 6 miles.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

bigpig

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep lots of black coffee grounds.
But after about 2 hrs the water still has some black dust like suspension.

I expect its been using proper antifreeze, but given I'm currently flushing out I've been using water (once the antifreeze was cleared out) as its not really practical to flush out with copious antifreeze at home. Once I've got the water behaving like water I'll then switch to proper coolant.

MautoK

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Quite possibly it's so fine it'll stay in suspension forever - let the water evaporate naturally or by warming it in your household's least favourite saucepan
I tipped most of the water out of the container and a couple of hours later there was the mix of fine and coarser bits.
Pretty sure it won't be soot, though.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

bigpig

posted on 31/5/09 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
I left it over night.

There is now a layer of black with what seems like a black/brown tinge to the water.

Sounds like just rust and silt now.

I've ordered a universal sniffer kit from ebay just to be sure.

MautoK

posted on 31/5/09 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
What's that...? Sounds useful.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpig
... universal sniffer kit ...

Looked on eBay - nothing found.

mad_dogpompey

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
be rust dude! have seen it loads of times when people don t run engine on the correct anti freeze. happened in a zetec of my mates hes flush it through must be ten times then put fresh anti freez in it and its still like it!
bigpig

posted on 1/6/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MautoK
What's that...? Sounds useful.

quote:
Originally posted by bigpig
... universal sniffer kit ...

Looked on eBay - nothing found.

Its a large pipette and fluid that turns blue to yellow in the presence of exhaust hydrocarbons.

They are called something like unversal cylinder head test kit, rather than the usual sniffer test kit.

bigpig

posted on 22/6/09 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Fogot to add.

I tried Mr Sniffy and he said there was not exhaust gubbins in the coolant.

Now just waiting on the *$"£$ ebay supplier to post the alloy joiners that I was told went in the post 2 weeks ago.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.