Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel Starvation update
wrigglypig

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel Starvation update

Still got problems with the fuel starvation
New fuel pump fitted ( mechanical) pushrod free and moving ok ( no wear)
Drive it hard in 1st then second and before you can get 3rd it dies. The fuel pick up is on the horizontal at the bottom of the tank and at the front.... so I think that with the inertia the fuel washes to the rear of the tank. This seems to be borne out by the fact that when the tank is full it does nt seem to happen, but it isnt always possible to keep it full. I have read about swirl pots are these just for EFI's or would a seperate swirlpot sort the matter out?

Ps its a pinto 2.0l with std carb

Any ideas??

Kev

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Swirl pot will sort if thats your issue, just need two low pressure pumps.

Does the car do this if you go flat out up a hill? If so it could be the float valve being to small stopping the carb from filling.

wrigglypig

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I havnt tried the hill bit yet, I obviously dont understand the swirl pot bit and 2 pumps. I thought it was just a seperate reseviour for the pump to pump from
02GF74

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wrigglypig
The fuel pick up is on the horizontal at the bottom of the tank and at the front....

sorry but I don't understand that.

what is the size of your tank? how far from the bottom of the tank is the pick up end?

is the tank vented?

you can verify your theory by fitting a hose to the pump feeding from a petrol can mounted securely.

or maybe temporarily fit a transparent section that you can see from the driving position.

my gut feel is that you would need acceleration that is far in excess of what F1 cars achieve.

wrigglypig

posted on 30/5/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
The tank is 13 gallon rectangular tank 8mm o/d take off horizontal position on the bottom edge of the tank the outlet faces forward, there is an air vent on the top of the tank which is clear. I suppose it could be an issue with the float level? I bet thats a bugger to set though?
Dusty

posted on 30/5/09 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Just fill the tank full and try driving. If all is well, it accelerates normally then it is indeed fuel starvation due to surge. If it is still happening then you have eliminated surge in the tank and you need to go through the fuel system bit by bit till you find the fault.

Sorry just re read your post and you say this sorts it. Still sounds like you are emptying the float chamber which means the pump is not supplying enough fuel. Pinto pump can do twin 45's and then some so think blockage in the pipes, air leak between tank and pump (the sucking side) crap in the tank blocking pickup pipe, worn and thus short pushrod or worn cam lobe on the jackshaft failing to move the pump mechanism to and fro. Blocked float valve.
Could also pull the pipe off the carb and feed it into a bottle and crank the engine. Should get a good flow of fuel, one spurt of about 5ml with each revolution of the engine.

[Edited on 30/5/09 by Dusty]

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,

A proper swirl pot is a seperate tank from the main fuel tank that holds around 1 litre of fuel, could be more or less does not really matter.

This tank provides fuel to the engines fuel pump and is designed to keep fuel over the outlet in variopus angles, its called a swirl pot as the fuel enters at an angle so make ths fuel 'swirl' within the pot which aids in keeping the outlet covered.

The main tank pumps fuel in to the secondary tank to keep it full.

Looking at this another way, if your main tank was a 6" wide tube 6 foot tall sat behind you when full unless you were on your side the engine would never suffer from fuel starvation.

An 'in tank' swirl pot is a poor mans substitute, put the fuel pickup in a small pot within the tank, when you corner hard although the bulk of the fuel moves away the pickup is in its own mini tank effectively.

Anyway a picture paints as they sayImage deleted by owner

mark chandler

posted on 30/5/09 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
I should add, you do not need to spend £££ on a pucker pot, just make something with fuel in at the top and fuel out at the bottom, I capped a bit of tube to make mine. Rescued attachment Swirl_pot.JPG
Rescued attachment Swirl_pot.JPG

wrigglypig

posted on 30/5/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Mark, I think I have to prove the pump and float bowl by using a seperate tank in the car as a temporary measure, the pump pushrod moves about 10mm and it squirts plenty of fuel so I think that is ok. SWont get to do it till next week as it is hoing for a custom stainless exhaust making in leeds on Wednesday, might post a piccy or two when its done.

Kev

Chippy

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Could you not extend the pick up pipe further into the tank, I know that means draining it down, but you should be able to slide a piece of 6mm copper tube into the 8mm, and extend to be an inch or so from the back of the tank. 6mm is plenty big enough to supply fuel to your engine, (my 24V Cosworth has 6mm pipe to the fuel rail). Just a thought. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

wrigglypig

posted on 30/5/09 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Now that is a distinct possibility, thank you for all your suggestions, I will come back you you in the next 10 days or so and see how its gone.

Cheers Kev

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.