Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tiger Avon - MT75 Gear box
GavinM

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Tiger Avon - MT75 Gear box

Hello Everyone.

I got pointed to this site by the www.tigerownersclub.co.uk as they said it is useful. But I am hoping to find the answer to the folling problem.......

I mistakenly got a MT75 Gearbox from a donor car when everyone said (after reading up more) that I need a Type 9. Now I have two choices.....

1. Make the MT75 fit. If so has anyone done it with an Avon? What is involved.

2. Failing the above would anyone willing to swap the MT75 for a Type 9. Surely there is someone out there who has done the same as me????

Will be back soon to hopefully find the answer.

Regards

Gavin

PS hoping to have this built by July 2010! Wish me luck!

[Edited on 31/5/09 by GavinM]

tomgregory2000

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck
blakep82

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
before you go, which engine is it you've got, as that will determine how easy it is to make that one fit

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

GavinM

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hello

The engine is a silver top 2.0l Zetec taken from a Ford Mondeo.

Is this a good or a bad thing now?

Please tell me good. The missus just made a comment about Step Toes yard in the same sentance about the car!

Regards

Gavin

blakep82

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
<---- well, i've got a vauxhall engine in a completely different car, so i don't know the answer, but this might be useful?
http://www.rsmotorsport.com.au/technical/files/Zetec_Gearbox_Combos.pdf

worth checking the mt75 will physically fit in your transmission tunnel first of all. if it does, with a decent gap all round (about a half inch at least, maybe a bit more) then the mt75 is the better gearbox for the zetec.

it seems the mt75 bolts right up

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

GavinM

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Blake

I have a renewed bit of faith now. I shall see what is what. I don't fancy having to modify the transmission tunnel but I shall see when I get everything put together.

The half inch or more gap I think will be a challenge.

Regards

Gavin

blakep82

posted on 31/5/09 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
i think the tunnel is going to be your limiting factor. if it fits down there, then great, if not then look for a type 9
actually, with 7's, i don't think that much of the gearbox actually goes in the tunnel does it?

how far in the build are you? wondering if its worth getting all the suspension, steering etc in, and worrying about it when you come to put the engine in? that way you know exactly how much space it needs

[Edited on 31/5/09 by blakep82]

GavinM

posted on 31/5/09 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Blake.

I don't know on the 7' side of things. This is really the first time I have ever attempted something like this. I suppose I shall find out.

I have the chassis on axle stands (without suspension brackets currently), the engine is on the floor at the back of the garage and I have just got back with the gearbox, prop shaft, rear drive shafts, diff and all four hubs from a Sierra Saphire 2.0 Ghia so with discs/abs all round.

Looking at some of the forum and how it stands I have gone for the most awkward way of building this from the start. Hey ho its all part of the learning curve.

blakep82

posted on 31/5/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
i'd maybe think about getting other stuff done first, get it to rolling chassis stage, then worry about it later. when you're ready to put the engine in, you'll know exactly where the gearbox needs to sit, and you'll see exactly how much room its got around it.

this car is the forst one i've done too, and i bought it as an old racing chassis, and had to work out for myself what all the various holes and brackets are for. mine didn't come with any instruction manual

[Edited on 31/5/09 by blakep82]

MikeRJ

posted on 31/5/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
One of the big difference is the output shaft; the type 9 has a traditional splines shaft, the MT75 has a rubber coupling. If you are getting the prop shaft custom made by a third party this shouldn't matter too much, but if you want to buy a prop direct from Tiger make sure they can make one for the MT75.
big_wasa

posted on 31/5/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
ive got an mt75 in my locost. I doubt unless proved wrong it will fit the avon with out mods.

GavinM

posted on 31/5/09 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough I have the Haynes "Locost" manual but I can't find the actual measurements of the tunnel. They all should be much the same to an extent so I shall plod on and see what happens.

In the mean time I have dropped Tiger an email so we shall see what happens.

Gav

big_wasa

posted on 31/5/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
but my tunnel is not to book
AvonBelgium

posted on 1/6/09 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
You will need to make some changes to the transmission tunnel.
The bellhousing of the MT 75 will come in contact with te vertical tubes in front of the tunnel. These will need to be moved backwards about 2".
For the rest it will fit OK, ofcourse you need custom made propshaft, and gear leaver extension Westfield style.
Also you need the Westfield style Clutch release bearing to fit the zetec to the MT-75.

GavinM

posted on 2/6/09 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Everyone

Thanks for the comments. I have dummied the gearbox up at the moment and (famous last words coming up) it seems to go. Just measured the transmission tunnel gap and it appears to be 235mm? Is this enough do we think? What is the gap others have on Westfields etc etc?

The remote gear changer can be removed from what I can see and repositioned.

I shall take some pictures so you can see what I am on about.

Regards

Gavin

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.