Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vw 1.8 turbo
mad_dogpompey

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
vw 1.8 turbo

right project under way. got a haynes roadster chassis of triton race products very nifty thing to. inboard front suspension and all that shiz!!!! i know it can be done but does anyone know what the issues are putting a vw 1.8 turbo in one of these. have got an mt75 gear box, i know i m gonna have to cut a big lump out of that for the starter and 3 ge do an adapter but has anyone in this forum already done it?
mad_dogpompey

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
oh and whilst i m at it, mark at triton race products top bloke very help full and highly recomended!
tegwin

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Good choice of motor! Its a bit heavier than most, but nicley tunable... which engine code did you get?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

mad_dogpompey

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
hey

not got one yet! just weighing up the issues. but the local breakers have got one out of a 2001 gold engine code agu sojust researching how hard its gonna be to fit. i m not a big fan of the ford stuff to say the least!!!! not gonna purchase an engine till the cars ready for it, otherwise it ll just sit there for 6 months or so!!!! think 3ge say its 180 or so kgs!!! but for an easy 225 to 300 bhp!!!! wonder how much a duratec of that figure would cost!!! lol
mgmiller

posted on 31/5/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have just done a Viento with a 1.8T engine code APX (out of a TT).

It will cost considerably more that a ford engine to install.

Adaptor plate was 800 euros.
Intercooler and pipping will cost you close to £1000 as you cannot use the original equipment.

What ECU are you going to use? I used the original audi one, with a phase one tune (about 270BHP) and the immobiliser removed. But it would be just as cheap to purchase a aftermarket one and save yourself a lot of hassle in figuring out the wiring and what sensors are required and what ones you can get ride of. I have just spent a month getting the Audi ECU to run correctly.

If you are really wanting to use the 1.8T send me a U2U and I can give you a phone with my wows.

Cheers

Mark

tegwin

posted on 31/5/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
£1000 for intercooler and piping

Could you not go to your local scrappy and find an intercooler that was almost suitable?

As for ECU... Megasquirt would run the engine fine if you remove the fly-by-wire system and have a bit of a fiddle.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Land Locked

posted on 31/5/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
What other gearbox could be used on the vw engine?
mgmiller

posted on 2/6/09 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
There very few intercoolers that will fit in the hose cone of a sevens car. If you went for the 150 or 180BHP engine you could you the original one.

I bought a 225BHP engine that has two intercoolers from the original TT and they would not fit.

You are correct about the megasquirt but I has not confident about setting up a turbo engine on one.

You could go for one of these http://www.qpeng.com/products/vag_plug_and_play_engine_management_kits/18t_20v_plug_and_play_kits.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.