Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Do your tools ever hide from you?
nick205

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Do your tools ever hide from you?

Am I alone here or do other peoples tolls sometimes choose to hide and then reappear...?

Spent forever the other night turfing everything upside down in the garage looking for the 8mm hex bit I know I have - could I find it - could I chuff as like

Off to Halfords, buy another one, get home use the new one once, job done. Open tool draw to put the new one away.......there's my old one sat there bold as a lump of steel

Like I say is this just me...?

smart51

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
yes, especially with allen keys. I have 3 sets and still can never find the one I want.

mookaloid

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
You are not alone - it gets worse as you get older too

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Dangle_kt

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I had a socket wrench that I was sure an ebayer had robbed. He came to the house, but couldnt fit the item in his car, so I lent him my socket set to take it apart, and since then I couldn't find it.

About 3 days passed, and i worked up the courage to message him through ebay, asking for it back.

I found it on the passenger seat of the kit car.

RED FACE!

Guinness

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Think of it as the Locost version of hide and seek!

Mike

blakep82

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
important bolts always do that to me. engine mounting bolts and the like. the ones where i've only got exactly the number i need, they go missing for a month at a time

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

LoMoss

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Think its called tool blindness. Its not just mechanic tools but building and DIY tools. And the symptoms only get worse!

Thats why I have 2 of everything.

Moss

NigeEss

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yep !

And I'm sure the buggers run away when I put them down as seconds later they vanish.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Land Locked

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
Think of it as the Locost version of hide and seek!

Mike

Only locost till you go out to buy a new one before you find the old one Happens to me all the time.

SteveWalker

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I spend more time looking for tools than doing any work! Usually not only do I know that I've got the tool, but I know that I've seen it recently, but I just can't find it.

Screwdrivers are the worst. I can sit down in the living room and slacken off a network socket, connect another socket to the spare cable and then when I come to fasten the faceplate back, the screwdriver has vanished. After much searching, I find it on the other side of the room - at no point before starting the search have I moved from my sitting position!

Lightning

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
What I want to know is when you need a flat head screw driver your draw is full of cross heads and yet when you want a cross head its full of flat heads????????

Who is it that changes them, and why do I have lots of 14mm spanners and never find a use them

[Edited on 1/6/09 by Lightning]

Steve

Litemoth

posted on 1/6/09 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Black Hole Floor

I can relate but I also have a floor that absorbs things that I drop. I can watch it (often in slow motion) fall but it disappears as soon as it hits the floor or finds the energy to bounce 30 yards away. It yields things days later when I'm looking for something else i've dropped.

It also moves that bolt, clip or spanner just out of reach when I've got the heavy awkward thing just in the right position.

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/6/09 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, the nack to looking for things that you see drop is to look in the total opposite direction to which you last saw it.
I'm not limited to tools. I seem to lose 1 shoe or 1 sock or 1 girlfriend (thats my excuse for being single anyway and I'm sticking to it!)

stevec

posted on 1/6/09 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Its probably still in the last cap head screw you tightened, got left behind.

Steve

yellow melos

posted on 1/6/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not just tools or screws/bolts.... also pens.. credit cars... e-mails you sent.. e-mails you started to write.. websites your sure you have been too....the bacon roll you started to eat for breakfast... the list you was writting about all the thinks you have misplaced..

the list goes on and on .... if only i could remember where i put it

nitram38

posted on 1/6/09 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Why is that it is always the 10mm spanner that I lose or goes missing?

SteveWalker

posted on 1/6/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
Ah, the nack to looking for things that you see drop is to look in the total opposite direction to which you last saw it.
I'm not limited to tools. I seem to lose 1 shoe or 1 sock or 1 girlfriend (thats my excuse for being single anyway and I'm sticking to it!)

So you still have one shoe and one sock - you should have started with two girlfriends

Stuart_B

posted on 1/6/09 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
my tool's run away from me to, such as normaly 13mm spanners and sockets,

so i brought 4, 13mm spanners, and 3, 13mm sockets, i am lucky if i find one. but i do try and hang them all back up on the tool boards.

stuart

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

nick205

posted on 1/6/09 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Why is that it is always the 10mm spanner that I lose or goes missing?

I gave in to that one some years back and now have half a dozen 10mm spanners strewn around the place for easy location

JoelP

posted on 1/6/09 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
ye gods i thought i was just me

Imagine having that problem but using tools all day at work? It drives me spare.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mistergrumpy

posted on 1/6/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
If a tool went missing at work in the RAF, you weren't allowed home until it was found in case it was sat in an engine or summat. I remember one time a socket turning up on top of a giant axle stand and was only found by the hanger giant and another time, one lad used to do an hours RAf work then an hour building his many pit bikes. Queue another missing socket. It turned up still on the engine of the bike that he'd sold earlie in the day to someone off camp!
As for putting up with 2 girlfriends, I'd rather stick with the limp because of having one sock and shoe!

kipper

posted on 1/6/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
tool fairy's

I went to Halfords to buy a repacement 19mm spanner which I lost from a set I bought a long time ago and managed to keep complete until weekend before last .I last used it to check over the suspention while at melbourn drag meeting.
Could'nt find it anywhere .
I removed the bonnet from the car on Sunday,,,, there was the old one on the scuttle, not hidden , just sat there looking at me. Bloody tool fairy's
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

james h

posted on 1/6/09 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thing is, as soon as you have a tidying session, tool blindless becomes worse - I know where everything is before I put it away!
mr henderson

posted on 1/6/09 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
People say it gets worse, it's always been pretty bad for me. On day about 20 years ago I was working on a car, and lost the spanner I needed. I know I'd had it because I couldn't have taken the bolt off without it. I also knew I hadn't moved from my spot. I got really quite cross (understatement).

Eventually I found what the spanner had done. It had, quite of its own volition, decided to climb up the wheel and balance itself on top of the tyre. How it did that, and without me spotting the movement, I still don't know.

I remember it because I remember how cross I got (very)

John

clairetoo

posted on 1/6/09 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
I find the easiest way to find a lost tool is to find something else to do - as soon as you stop looking , the missing tool gets bored playing hide and seek and magically re-appears .
Allso - why is everything you lose , allways found in the last place you look ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.