Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone else got a Rage metal saw? I have some concerns
mr henderson

posted on 2/6/09 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone else got a Rage metal saw? I have some concerns

I've had one of these for a little while now. It certainly cuts steel, just like they said it would. What they didn't say was that I would get showered with small pieces of hot steel while I was operating the machine.

I've tried standing to one side, and to the other side, I haven't yet experimented with some sheets of polycarbonate in stratefic postions because I don't think I would be able to operate it with them in the way (plus I haven't got any)

I also lost a couple of the TC teeth when I found the saw was inclined to snatch if not very firmly held down before being fed into the cut. After the snatching event (quite scary) I discovered that the rear fence wasn't straight. It might have becomed bent when I had the snatches but I suspect it was always like that. I've replaced it with a wooden one for the time being.

I'd be interested to hear another owner's experiences.

As it is, I wish I'd got a metal cutting bandsaw instead (I had one before and it worked very well)

John

maskedavenger

posted on 2/6/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
i ve got one and they are one vicious piece of kit
i get showerd with hot metal i dont go nearit now without ear protection ,gauntlets and a mask
and i never cut short pieces anymore (had a close one i went white and neaded sugary tea)
treat it with the respect it deserves

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
ditto
i should have bought a bandsaw

they lose the "edge" on the blade very quickly
i now use my abrasive chop saw for straight cuts and only the rage for compound mitres etc

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mark chandler

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I know one person who will not go near his one anymore after it grabbed a bit of tube and tried to hit him.

He was just trying to knock a bit off the end so held by hand, nuff said.

I have a big power hacksaw that I never use these days, takes a 24" blade and can cut RSJ's with ease. yours for £100 if you want to collect.

It's very heavy.......

No sparks, just cuts away, no good for small stuff.

flak monkey

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Well if you expect what is essentially a powerful circular saw to cut steel nicely then you are much mistaken.

We do it at work, but with industrial equipment, and its still not nice.

They are not too bad on solid stuff, but thats about it.

A decent band saw is much more productive, and a good second hand one can be had cheaper than a new rage.....either that or an abrasive chopsaw.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Minicooper

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Clarke version and for once it seems to be a very nice quality piece of kit, it cuts through steel like a hot knife through butter. After a lot of work I have now replaced the blade with a rage 3 blade and its very vicious, it certainly cuts the steel very well but is prone to grabbing as the teeth are large

Cheers
David

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Its the design...... I have a cross cut saw and cutting plastics. its nasty habit is to snatch and break my fingers. Got me the first time two dactyl's later
I have grown wise and always clamp stuff down.

mr henderson

posted on 2/6/09 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler

I have a big power hacksaw that I never use these days, takes a 24" blade and can cut RSJ's with ease. yours for £100 if you want to collect.

It's very heavy.......

I would have that like a shot, if you weren't so far away, shame, 220 mile round trip unfortunately

macspeedy

posted on 2/6/09 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have one and respect it massively !

If you had a chop saw abrasive style then it would shower stuff, good for the odd job that would be hard work with a hacksaw..

I have lost a few edges on teeth but nothing major.. it says you are supposed to replace blades after loosing teeth, sounds expensive, depends how often your cutting stuff i suppose..

[Edited on 2/6/09 by macspeedy]

dinosaurjuice

posted on 2/6/09 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
i saw a demo of these in B&Q and it scared the life out of me. just doesnt seem right.

metal cutting bandsaws, in my experience, are the best thing to have if working with metal frequently. donkeysaws/powered hacksaws are the next best thing. i would buy either tomorrow if i was making brackets etc as part of work.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.