Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Registering a BEC in Malta
phil_far

posted on 5/6/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Registering a BEC in Malta

All,
Next week I will kick start the registration process of my long awaited BEC (8 yrs!). Since in Malta we do not differentiate between a kit car and a production car our registration is applied unifrmly across the board. The tax is now worked out as follows:
engine emissions x value x wheelase
Each item is based on a table with values pertianing to each category. My biggest issue is the emissions since there are no official figures for bike engines (stand to be corrected). Not a big dela for the first time registration but an issue for the annual road tax.
Once again the annual road tax is worked out on emissions, and since no data is avaialble a BEC is uatomatically placed in the highest bracket (over 250g) that pushes the road licence fee over a period of 4 years to almost €850 (£700?)possibly going up to over €1200! Basically I will be paying the same yearly road licence as someone driving a Ferrar Enzo!
Couple of questions:
1. Are there any sort of emission tests verifications performed in the UK?
2. If yes can somone send me a copy to see what is in it?

I am trying to work out options to go around rather than trying to go through. Obviously after all this time i am not going to be put off by any system..I will still register and drive my car

Philip

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/6/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry but why can't you take it to a garage and get them to measure the emissions on their test equipment?

Surely you have this done for yearly vehicle roadworthy inspections (called an MOT here) too?

To get our road tax discount for low emission cars we have to show our test certificate from the MOT

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SteveWalker

posted on 5/6/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
He'll be referring to grammes of CO2 per kilometre, which cannot be verified without putting the car through the official government tests - way too expensive for an individual car.

[Edited on 5/6/09 by SteveWalker]

mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil_far

The tax is now worked out as follows:
engine emissions x value x wheelase

Basically I will be paying the same yearly road licence as someone driving a Ferrar Enzo!

Sounds like someone isn't doing their sums properly, unless your car does have a higher value than is usual (or maybe it's a LOT longer?

John

adithorp

posted on 5/6/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
"...To get our road tax discount for low emission cars we have to show our test certificate from the MOT..." Whippy.

New one on me. Can you explain that or is it just a new invention?

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

phil_far

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
We do not have any garage that measure the CO2 Gramme of emission per kilometre

So back to my question: Is it done in the UK? If yes can someone guide me to a garage or an individual whom I can talk to?
I think that if I present enough evidence of a similar car related to this subject from an official source (on the basis that they do not have the right equipmnet) then they will go by the figure presenetd which will definitely have a significant impact on my yearly road licence!

So any help please,......

Philip

phil_far

posted on 5/6/09 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Henderson,
The formula is related to the first time registration which is not the main concern. th eyearly road licence si purely emissions. Onc eyou are above teh treshold of 250g/km, then irrespective of whether its a 1979 Austin Allegro or a Gallardo you are in the same bracket!

Consider yourself lucky in the UK...cheap licence, availability of all types of kits/parts without incurring excess postage costs, race tracks and unused airfields everywhere...you are in kitcar heaven!

Philip

Richard Quinn

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil_far
Mr Henderson,
The formula is related to the first time registration which is not the main concern. th eyearly road licence si purely emissions. Onc eyou are above teh treshold of 250g/km, then irrespective of whether its a 1979 Austin Allegro or a Gallardo you are in the same bracket!

Consider yourself lucky in the UK...cheap licence, availability of all types of kits/parts without incurring excess postage costs, race tracks and unused airfields everywhere...you are in kitcar heaven!
To try to answer your question - I am not aware of any garage that would offer this service. I guess that this would now be part of the Type Approval process for manufacturer's new models. There must be agencies that do this type of thing but I guess that it would be far too expensive (even compared to your road licence).
With respect to "kit car heaven", they have to make it easy for us as a consolation for the lack of any real continuous weather when we can actually use the things to damage the environment. I've been stuck in an office all week looking out at the sunshine and now the weekend is here... guess what... rain!

[Edited on 5/6/09 by Richard Quinn]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.