Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sensable cost to get a Rollbar Made?
dhutch

posted on 9/6/09 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Sensable cost to get a Rollbar Made?

Ive been meaning to get around to sorting a roll bar for a long time, but its now moving into summer and trackday season so somthing needs doing rapidly.

Ive had a quote off caged for £350+vat for a braced 'RACstyle' msa spec roll bar.
- Hight to suit me, simple hoop, diagonal brace, and two rear stays. For a narrowbody westfeild.

If then also rung BMS who did a load for the WSCC to suit a widebody and have got a simular quote, but when i mention i migt go to caged as they where the same price, the option of a deal/discount was mentioned depending on how it is etc.

Ive also got a quote of £170+vat for a 'weld together kit' (box of bent tube) from Fabicage, although the quote for a fitting bar wasnt competive at £500+vat.

So im just wondering whats sensable money?
- I can just about mig/oxyace bits but am not happy doing anything on show involving thin wall round tube so the weld together kit would require me to then get someone else to weld it so is largly out.

How much room do i have to negoicate price with BMS (current fave, if only because there local to take the car to).

Any chance of beating them down to around £300 inc vat?
- Happy to pay on the spot with whatever means prefered.

Daniel

procomp

posted on 9/6/09 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

The prices are not too bad. But check out EXACTLY what spec tubing BMS are using. The Westfield item they sell is A. not too MSA spec on tube sizing MIN 45mm all over for non certificated. They are using 40mm in areas. And B they also state exactly what tube spec they are using again it falls short of min spec for MSA by 1/3 on yield strength.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 9/6/09 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Have you spoken to Martin Keenan / MK Engineering? (not MK Sportscars) If the car is in Cheshire then Sheffield is not a million miles away (nice drive over the penines perhaps).

He should be able to do something for you at reasonable cost and to the required spec.

http://www.mkengineering.co.uk/

dhutch

posted on 9/6/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I was planning to confirm it was 45mm all over but didnt know the grade of steel fell short of what was required.
- At one leval, its all going to be stupidly stronger than chassis, im not actaully planning to race it, and how are they every going to tell. However clearly at another leval it would be nice to know what there using and that you are geting what you paying for. Or paying for what you geting.

I will contact Martin and speak to him, the car is indeed going to be in south cheshire throughout summer (currently with me in loughborough).

I'd an ideal world i'd go straight to yourselfs for it matt, but im counting pennys daily and sometimes the cheaper option is good enough.

Daniel

welderman

posted on 9/6/09 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
i made 3 full cages to suit MK's, ive got 1 and a bit left, 48.3 od mild steel tube, 3mm wall, but these are not seamless.

Joe Rescued attachment Image323.jpg
Rescued attachment Image323.jpg

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Andy S

posted on 9/6/09 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right for having a one off bar manufactured .

Looking at it from a point of the machinery and skills required to manufacture one plus the price of the right material and then powder coating the price looks very reasonable.

If watching the pennies - lower your seat and get a s/h narrow westy bar

Andrew

DaveFJ

posted on 9/6/09 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a simple hoop (but bevelled so 4 bends ) with a horizontal cross brace (yes i know it's not to MSA spec) and 2 rear stays. all made from 1 3/4" 3mm wall CDS. 6m of tubing cost me a little 0ver £110.
bending ... some for beer and some cost ... total £60
2 lots of welding £80
did all the fettling and fishmouthing myself (yes not very well in places!! )

total cost about £250

considering the amount of time it took and that i got 4 bends done for beer I think £350 is quite reasonable

cheers

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 9/6/09 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Here's something you might consider? Taken from my Westfield last year, sold on Ebay, but the guy never paid and never turned up... hopefully no-one here... Anyway, one Westfield factory RAC rollbar, without top bearings (welded) and extended.

http://img44.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=baroffcar.jpg

I have the factory laser cut feet if you wish to bolt it on, or simply weld it all on as I did. £75 and it's all yours, if you can wait until July 15-19 I'm in Newark...

dhutch

posted on 9/6/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andy S
If watching the pennies - lower your seat and get a s/h narrow westy bar

Yeah, well ive lowered the seat by 2-3inchs (now grp seat mounted against floor) but im still not going to make the hight of a westfield bar without lowering the floor, which im not sure i want to.

Seams like the price isnt far off, didnt get through to MK when i tried but didnt try mobile.

nike5

posted on 20/6/09 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
dhutch

I presume you have a grp seat, which is side mounted, which can allow your back side to be literally mm from the floor.
Have you tried mounting the seat in a more reclined position.
I am not suggesting by much, otherwise you will compromise your harness operation , and it would be an uncomfortable drive, but you will surprised how much it will lower your head. (pivot point being your back side means your head is lower in car, and knees are higher).

dhutch

posted on 20/6/09 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
The seat is mounted on runners, but such that the bass is indeed mm (about 3) of the floor.
- I raised the front by around 1.5 inchs to get some recline, which is about as much as i would like to before knee/dashboard clearence starts becoming a potential issue.

I spoke to MK engineering who sounded positive, but suggested i phones back in 10days or so (mid next week) as they will have a better idea when they will be able to do it so im going to phone monday and see how they are geting on with that.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.