Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this ok?
ChrisW

posted on 4/8/02 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is this ok?

[img]/upload/column.jpg[/img]

Bit worried about my "new" collapsable steering column, mainly because it looks like it's collapsed already! Shouldn't the concertina type bit be streched out? Is it still ok?

Cheers, Chris.

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alan B

posted on 4/8/02 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Chris the picture isn't showing.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 4/8/02 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Duh! Sorry.. my fault!

Chris

My gaff my rules

john_s

posted on 4/8/02 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Bit worried about my "new" collapsable steering column, mainly because it looks like it's collapsed already! Shouldn't the concertina type bit be streched out? Is it still ok?

Mine's in the same state.

I think the concertina bit should be expanded.

What do others think?

John.

--
John Singleton

chrisg

posted on 4/8/02 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it off?

Couldn't you have a look at one "in situ"?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ChrisW

posted on 4/8/02 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
A Sierra. Anyone got one who could check?

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

fastenuff

posted on 4/8/02 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
to me it looks like it has already done it job. Looking at my own of which i'm sure that isn't colapsed the bottom black pipe looks different. will make a pic tomorrow and you can compair yourself

Ingmar

scutter

posted on 4/8/02 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
That has had it, my steering columns collapsable section is over 6" long. sorry to bring bad news
merlin

posted on 4/8/02 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
another good tell tale sign Chris is the teeth marks in the steering wheel! I have to agree with scutter, it's shagged mate.

shit happens! (but why always to me!!)

ChrisW

posted on 4/8/02 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
ARSE!! I shall be taking this up with Mr Conrod...

BTW anyone got a spare one of those concertinas? (I assume it'd be ok with a new one of those?)

Chris

My gaff my rules

johnston

posted on 4/8/02 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
i have a couple of columns outta fiestas and mk3 escy and there all "expanded" 2 did u not see the car it came outta????
theconrodkid

posted on 4/8/02 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Chris,all the items i sell are covered with a life time gaurantee,ill sort another one out for you,ps hows my crypton psu?
ChrisW

posted on 5/8/02 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
did u not see the car it came outta????

Yeah, I took it out - and yes, it was crashed. I just didn't expect such a light crash to have crushed the column! Nevermind.

Conrod - good to hear about the guarantee! If you've got one lying around it'd be good but no worries if not. I need a trip to the scrappy anyway!

Chris

My gaff my rules

James

posted on 5/8/02 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure you've thought of this but just in case...

You're column looks a bit different than mine (ooh sir). And what I notice is that black lever next to the spring mechanism.
Also, that the part you're highlighted looks a little too uniformly crumpled?
This isn't an adjustable length column is it? It's not possible that it's just currently in 'compressed' state? Have you tried clamping the bottom of the column, pulling this lever and extending it?

Just a thought- I'm probably talking gibberish though!!!

James

ChrisW

posted on 5/8/02 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it is adjustable. Does the adjustment come from the concertina? All the lever does is release the top 'bolt' to allow the top part of the column to move.

Chris

My gaff my rules

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/02 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
the adjustment is for angle, not for 'reach'.

atb

steve

ChrisW

posted on 5/8/02 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
It did adjust in/out on the car it came out of but possibly that was because it was already knackered! I might investigate whether it's possible to extend it again.. what's the worst that could happen?

Chris

My gaff my rules

Metal Hippy™

posted on 5/8/02 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
You could of course crash and burn....

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/8/02 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
hey hippy.....stay outa my territory.

im the group pessimist!

atb

steve

bob

posted on 5/8/02 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Chris
I've got the same column as you,and mine looks exactly the same as yours.
It came from a straight car so i presume this is how the adjustable ones look.
What we need is confirmation from someone clever,i wont hold my breath there though.

wicket

posted on 5/8/02 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a picture in a workshop manual ?
johnston

posted on 5/8/02 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
why dont u try your local ford mechanic if they dont no their bound to still have a genuine ford workshop manual kickin about???????

jmbillings

posted on 9/8/02 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
We got our sierra column from a straight car in a scrappy- is as the picture here. We were worried too, so checked 2 other cars- all the same, all stright. I think its the way it is meant to be- ours has a sliding section lower down which seems to be for absorbing impact, rather than the bit you circled. SVA bloke was happy with it anyway!
Dunc

posted on 9/8/02 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think that bit is to allow the reach of the steering wheel on the higher specd sierra's. Check further down the column for another collapsable steering member, memory says it will be between the bulkhead and steering rack when in situ in the sierra and is either a bit that brakes or a triangular tube that slides inside a round tube.
jmbillings

posted on 9/8/02 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
It was the triangular bit on ours, just on the driver side of where it goes through the bulkhead. We also have an off-centre thingy by using two uni-joints.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.