Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New GTS bodywork
dozracing

posted on 7/3/04 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
New GTS bodywork

Hi all,

Below is a picture of the new taller bodywork for the GTS DeDion car, which is also perfectly suited to all book built cars.

The picture shows the pattern for the main body section, (nose, bonnet and scuttle). I think you'll agree that its quite striking, and from the reflections you can see how symmetrical it is and flawless.

Kind regards,

Darren Rescued attachment new body plug4.jpg
Rescued attachment new body plug4.jpg

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ian Pearson

posted on 7/3/04 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Looks GOOD.

Time to take a saw to my scuttle, got to be easier than making a bonnet!!

flange nut

posted on 7/3/04 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
That looks very good. How much taller is it? Can a Pinto fit underneath the bonnet? Prices?
craig1410

posted on 8/3/04 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,
I am very very interested as I urgently need to buy a fibreglass set and was planning to come to you in the first instance anyway.

How do you envisage this working? Are you planning to leave it as one piece or split it into the usual three pieces. If the former then what about the likes of the windscreen?

Prices please and current lead time estimates from point of order.

Also, are you any closer to agreeing and building a +4" wider body set? If not then I'll just have to cut one of the standard ones in half but that brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it...
Cheers,
Craig.

dozracing

posted on 8/3/04 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

This pattern has now been dammed to make it the usual three peices but with a neater set of split lines than normal. Hard to describe how its being done, i'll try and take more pics of it tomorrow to show.

Prices are on the website now, and lead time is around 2 weeks as normal. We have around 10 sets to make straight off starting this week, so we are in the mood for making bodywork!

Wingscreens and aero screen will mount in the usual ways. We think the bonnet will come off and fit better than the normal styles because of the way we have split it and retain it.

Pintos will go under it, this was the driving factor in bothering to make new bodywork in the first place, that and the desire to make something the next level up on quality than what others are currently offering.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
craig1410

posted on 8/3/04 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,
What about the +4" stuff?
Sorry to keep bugging you on this but I'd hate to buy your normal stuff only to find you release a +4" kit next month...

Cheers,
Craig.

albertz

posted on 8/3/04 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Do you know if the original inlet plenum from a Toyota 4AGE will fit under?

Cheers

dozracing

posted on 8/3/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
I believe that the 4AGE and stuff will go under, as the first kit and set of bodywork we did was for the Toyota. I will probably be able to confirm this in a couple of weeks when the final fit of the engine occurs.

The +4 is a way off i think at the moment, due mainly to the massive demand we have had for kits, axles and bodywork. I don't see us getting a chance to look at it in the near future.

Kind regards,

Darren

albertz

posted on 8/3/04 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,

Thats good news about the 4AGE fitting.
It was not a major problem to fabricate or cut down the plenum, but just a time consuming 'project' that can now *hopefully* be forgotten about.

Could you attach a link to the price on your site, as i couldnt find it!

Keep me up to date with the fitting in a couple of weeks.

Cheers

craig1410

posted on 8/3/04 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,
Thanks for confirming that, I'll be sure to send you a photo of your lovely bodywork cut in half with my nasty old jigsaw. That might serve to convince you that +4" bodywork is a good thing...

As Albertz said, the prices are not on the site unless you have simply converted everything to the taller stuff?

My only problem now is how to sneak a complete bodykit into the garage without my Wife spotting it? Darren, can't you create a second website where the prices are about 10% of what they really are so that we can all point out wives/partners to this alternate site when they ask how much it cost??

Will be in touch soon.
Cheers,
Craig.

ned

posted on 9/3/04 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Spoke to Darren yesterday, and he said the taller stuff is to replace the book/low bodywork, though I'm after a set of the older/low line stuff!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

James

posted on 9/3/04 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Darren,
what height is the back of the nose cone above the top of the chassis with the new/old types?

Just wondering about fitting my Pinto in!

James

flak monkey

posted on 9/3/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
So is the new stuff replacing the old bodywork then? Will the old style still be available? I like the older low line stuff personally, though i can see how much easier the new stuff makes using a pinto. I would rather mod the engine to fit under the lower bodywork.

So will the old stuff still be available? I hope so

Cheers
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ned

posted on 9/3/04 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
David,

My thoughts exactly. I also think the lower line bodywork is probably gonna be better for the bec's!

Ned.

locoboy

posted on 9/3/04 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
i was going to buy bodywork from Darren too, not so keen on the plain scuttle, much prefer the MK one with the step in it to allow fitment of aeroscreen, thought this may have been considered in the NEW bodywork

ATB
Locoboy

M@Triton

posted on 9/3/04 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
There is no visible difference in height, although it is 3/4" higher this is down the centre line then blended out evenly.
The scuttle,bonnet and nosecone fit perfectly with each other....unlike others i won't mention.

Instead of following the trend and moulding a ridge to mount an aeroscreen we are developing an aeroscreen that actually fits and still lts you opt to fit a windscreen without problems.
Th dash area is also somwhat better designed allowing for a much neater finish...no ugly beading poking out!
The joins are unlike any other in this class/price range.
Any car engine should have it's sump modified to keep weight as low as possible along with some bike engines.

Regards
Mark

flak monkey

posted on 10/3/04 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I thought it looked considerably different to the old bodywork actually, maybe its just the angle of the pic?

It looks like the front of the nose rises quite sharply now, before levelling off for the bonnet. I just dont think it looks as smooth and flowing as the low line stuff.

Like i say maybe its just the angle of the pic....

David

Sera

ned

posted on 10/3/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
My initial thoughts were likewise from the pic shown..

All imho of course!

Ned.

dozracing

posted on 10/3/04 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Someone pointed out to me earlier that the pic posted is of the car 3 feet above the ground, when normally you are looking down on it from above.

The shape of the nose in this area is still very much the same as the original Caterham clone. The other deceiving thing is that becuase its all in one piece you don't get the breaks that you normally would and this may be making it look somewhat different.

Essentially what you have is a set of bodywork that is far superior in fit, form and function than anything else offered. But then there is no accounting for taste! It may also be that the nose is slightly wider and fuller towards the bottom so it hides the chassis and joins the side panels in one continuous form, which again maybe making it look a little different.

Windscreen fitting. My racecar bodywork from Stuart Taylor has a bump in it for mounting the aero screen. It makes it very easy but the fasterners are very obvious and there is little you can do to disguise them neatly. It makes fitting a real windscreen more difficult too.

Rather than follow the norm Mark and i have devised a innovative windscreen fixing that disguises the fixings and does away with the need for a big rubber seal. Instead you get left with a very neat joint with the scuttle and small tidy seal. You dont see any windscreen fixings on the top outside surface of the scuttle at all.

Kind regards,

Darren

flak monkey

posted on 10/3/04 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cool thanks for that Darren. As i said it may have been the angle of the pic and all the other thing you pointed out

Will look forward to seeing it on a locost in the near future!

David

Sera

batfasturd

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
At least the nosecone don't have daft ears trying to cover brackets like my kit!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.