Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dont suppose anyone flies rc gliders?
andrew-theasby

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Dont suppose anyone flies rc gliders?

Hi, sorry its not locost related, but i dont want to get addicted to another forum and i know there are a few modellers on here. Just building a 3metre glider and got a couple of questions if anyone might be able to help thanks
Steve Hignett

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Any Pics?

I'd love to get into that sort of thing?

meany

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
its been a few years but i used to.

i think "Mr whippy" does'used to aswell

ashg

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
yep i fly them rc planes too. what you got.

fire away with the questions

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

chrisg

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I used to, I'd love to get back into it but I don't have time to scratch my a*se these days.

Done a bit of PSS as well, needs too much of a blow or you're just climbing up and down the hill all day!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

andrew-theasby

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
wow that was quick. What i could do with is some advice on the wing joiner. Its a part kit im building so only has a moulded fuz and foam wing cores. Ive joined foam wings permanently before by bandsawing spanwise slots and sliding thin ply spars in with epoxy but thats when the root is 2" deep and a permanent join. How do gliders do it where the wings seperate, and the joiner goes through the fuselage and make it strong enough to span 3metres in a root of maybe only 20mm deep? The wings are already veneered and id prefer not to glass them if poss.
Sorry no pics at the mo as ive only just started it but its a bit like this one

meany

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
so how much R.C. stuff have you collected over the years Chris?
put it this way...i have a very understanding wife...

chrisg

posted on 13/6/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Plenty!

Most of it's gone now I've just got an electric trainer now and I don't think that's been out of the loft for two years!

Back to the original question, I'd probably go for a carbon fibre rod into CF tubes in the wing roots with a bit of tape on the joins.

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

BenB

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a IC trainer stuck in the garage but my newest weapon is a Zagi 480. Amazingly chuckable and it really does bounce...

Luckily it also floats (I do most of my flying up at my parents place on the shores of Rutland water and have landed in the drink a few times...).

meany

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
ive still got a Zagi kicking about somewhere aswell.

anyhooo....i would agree with chris on the wing joining but with out seeing it close up, its hard to really be certain.

if you send an email to Simon@rvmsa.com
from www.rvmsa.com , then he might be able to give you a few hints, i know he has built quite a few over the years.

andrew-theasby

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a zagi too, used to aerotow it at one time.

"I'd probably go for a carbon fibre rod into CF tubes in the wing roots with a bit of tape on the joins"
Chris, How do they bond the outer tubes into the wing cores, i assumed thats how it would be done, but cant think of a suitable way to spread the loads without having a really long tube and cutting lots of the veneer away, any ideas?

bigandy

posted on 13/6/09 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
I fly RC planes and gliders. My current machine of choice, is a 3.1m Graphite 2e. I've got a little dinky Hacker B50 geared motor in it, turning a 17x11 prop and pulling around 1.2kW out of a 6s lipo pack. It gives enough thrust to climb vertically, without adding too much weight so the thermalling and gliding around is affected.

In terms of a wing joiner, my Graphite is actually a 3 piece wing. Each section is around 1m long, and joins by way of a small solid carbon square joiner, about 12mm square, It slides in (quite tightly) to a box that is moulded into the wing, between the spar caps. The glider is hollow-moulded carbon and glass fibre.

On a foam core wing, the usual method is to use one or two blade joiners (usually made from steel, or carbon), that fit into boxes that are built into the wing. The joiner blade can also go through a box in the fuselage if you are attaching the wings to either side of the fuselage. A steel blade spar of around 15mm depth, and 5mm width, and 300mm long should cope with glider type flying (although it might need to be beefed up for more aerobatic type flying). The important thing to do is tie the box structure into the wing panel well, so that all the loads are distributed well.

I don't know if you have seen it before, but take a look at the forum on www.rcmf.co.uk I'm a member over there, and there are a LOT of people who know what they are talking about

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

andrew-theasby

posted on 13/6/09 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Ive read that a couple of times now, i understand how yours works, but on a foam wing are you saying the joiner should be a permanent part of the wing and slot into the fuse? I think i know what you mean there, but would it really be 5mm steel how is the steel bonded in?
Thanks

ashg

posted on 13/6/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
ha-ha i have got a zagi too. Carbon rod has to be the sensible option. you could use piano wire but its much heavier.

Another little trick is glass fibre weave tape. you can smash them into the ground with that stuff on and they still hold together.

p.s sign upto rc universe. its one big forum that covers from cars to planes, boats heli etc so you wont have to sign up to loads of forums.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

andrew-theasby

posted on 13/6/09 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
The glass tape isnt an option really as they are plug in wings. The difficulty im having is bonding something far enough into the wing so that the loads are spread and the wing doesnt snap at the end of it. im pretty confident i can run 2 thin spars say 50cm into the wing but how can you cut the foam away to add anything thicker without cutting the veneer? I was only thinking the width of a bandsaw cut and some 1/16" ply spars but the joiner (stubs) would have to be joined to this
LBMEFM

posted on 14/6/09 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Never seen a r/c glider before, wow what a beautiful shape. My mate flies r/c helicopters they are fun but dificult to fly and expensive to fix. Barry

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.