Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Carb Throttle Return
benlg924

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Carb Throttle Return

Hi All

i have finally finished my carb conversion on the 924 and after having a while with the throttle staying open i realised i would need a spring to bring it back around.

i have one but it has made pedel pressing quite stiff due to the way the spring is resting and curving around the throttle spindle (thing)

is there a better way to install a return spring?

if people could post pics of how they have got round this issue that would be great i am getting a very big right leg and its causing me to walk in circles now!

Cheers

Ben

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

coozer

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem but since getting the carbs set up at Bogg Brothers I don't need it any more.

More a mixture setting problem than anything else IMO...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

rusty nuts

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Don't bike carbs have 2 throttle cables , one to open and another to close the throttle? Can you use what would have been the closing cable fitting to fit a cable compressing a spring? If that makes sense?
benlg924

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
it does have a return cable not attached

i have the accelerator attached the the front fixing

and the sping to the rear fixing but the spring rubs on the big spindle

i could attach a cable to the return section of the spindle but where would i then attach that?

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

benlg924

posted on 17/6/09 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
i have also had them set up by walford motorsport fully fitted and dyno'd ect

just this return issue now

how did bogg brothers sort yours?

Flamez

posted on 17/6/09 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benlg924
it does have a return cable not attached

i have the accelerator attached the the front fixing

and the sping to the rear fixing but the spring rubs on the big spindle

i could attach a cable to the return section of the spindle but where would i then attach that?

Mine are set the other way round. On the return use a short piece of cable and thread up through the adjuster, place a spring around the cable, and a clamp on top of the cable to hold it in place. Do not put too much tension on the spring as it will also act asa throttle stop.

If you do a search others have posted pictures,

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=113977

scroll down for slaters reply and pictures. HTH

my build mac1motorsports

Slater

posted on 17/6/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Flamez for posting that link.

That solution works a treat.

Ben, if you need a spring or two let me know, I have a big selection box and can post some to you. You will need to supply a couple of small coins though!
Keith

[Edited on 17/6/09 by Slater]

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

benlg924

posted on 18/6/09 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
hi

great idea looks like the way to go, are they just 5p's?

cheers for that slater i have struggled to get any spring from round here would it be possible to get two springs? also dont suppose you have any solderless nipples i only have 1 left? if you let me know i can paypal expenses in for you.

I will pm my address now

Cheers

Ben

Slater

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Ben

Yes thay are 5p's with a small hole drilled through. I can send you a few springs, on Saturday. You can get a solderless nipple from a choclate block connector, just trim off the plastic.

If you look at the photo you could get away without using the brass tube, as long as the bottom 5p is resting on something solid.

Keith

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

DarrenW

posted on 18/6/09 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
A simple solution is to fit the twin cable set up off the bike, then fit a cleat to the throttle pedal that your foot can clip into (like on pushbikes). Job done and no need for springs at all.

Only joking BTW. I had same problem, bought a set of springs and played about with different ones and mounting points until best compromise was obtained.

[Edited on 18/6/09 by DarrenW]

benlg924

posted on 20/6/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi guys

all sorted now thanks to everyone on here and slater for the parts (legend)

Before

after

ps used 2p's due to credit crunch!

Cheers

Ben

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.