Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bias Bar alternative for IVA
Cheffy

posted on 23/6/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Bias Bar alternative for IVA

Evening all,

Following on from big_wasa's recent post here:- Linky

(but not wanting to hi-jack his post ) what's everybody else doing about replacing the bias bar for IVA?

I haven't got access to milling equipment and just wondered if there was another way round it?

Or is everybody just using a normal bias bar and welding it up?

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 23/6/09 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
on speaking to the manufacturer of my kit (dax) who still provide a pedal box with bias bar the current accepted solution is to weld the top of the securing nut and a significant proportion of the thread.

Craig

big_wasa

posted on 23/6/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
what pedal box is it ?
cd.thomson

posted on 23/6/09 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
the dax one?

Craig

Cheffy

posted on 23/6/09 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using the OBP one. Just seemed a bit of a waste to weld up a perfectly good balance bar worth (IIRC) around £25 if there was a cheaper/easier option and then fit the bias bar post IVA if necessary.

Mart.

Farts are like Rock'n'Roll. You love your own but you hate everybody else's. Lemmy, Motorhead.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CaptainJosh

posted on 24/6/09 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
If you've got a lathe, machine up a none threaded alternative to the bar, taking measurements from your original adjustable setup.

Then simple swap over when you need to.

Cheffy

posted on 24/6/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainJosh
If you've got a lathe, machine up a none threaded alternative to the bar, taking measurements from your original adjustable setup.

Then simple swap over when you need to.

Yea, I think that's what it's going to have to be. No lathe hence looking for alternatives, but I've got a very good small engineering company locally who are very good at doing little one off jobs so might pop over and see them.

Thanks for the replies chaps,

Mart.

[Edited on 24/6/09 by Cheffy]

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/6/09 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Weld it up and swap it out after. I've just bought another for mine as I wasn't too happy about having the "SVA one" drilled to take a roll pin. Just seems to be an uneccessary weakening of a critical component!
MikeRJ

posted on 24/6/09 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Quinn
Weld it up and swap it out after. I've just bought another for mine as I wasn't too happy about having the "SVA one" drilled to take a roll pin. Just seems to be an uneccessary weakening of a critical component!

That would depend on where you are drilling it. A small hole right in the middle of the outer clevis assemblies isn't going to weaken it much, if at all.

OTOH welding it will certainly introduce some weakness.

[Edited on 24/6/09 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.