Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: busaclutch slipping
:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 25/6/09 at 02:13 AM Reply With Quote
busaclutch slipping

went to work tuther day in my megabusa - noticed it had started to have bad clutch slip when pulling hard - would a change of oil cure it? it is due a change about now - bout 5k since.

also while it apart i have an annoying oil weep i think is coming from one of the dry sump hoses - if i were to buy new hoses from somewhere local what must i look out for? obvious right dimensions and oil hose - is there any other requirements for dry sump hose?

best oil to use???

nitram38

posted on 25/6/09 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
Check that your clutch is correctly adjusted. My R1 was slipping because I had adjusted my slave cylinder too much. Not sure of the busa clutch, but try backing it off a bit.

Phil.J

posted on 25/6/09 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will need to bite the bullet and look at replacing the clutch, easy job if you can get at it!
If changing dry sump hoses, make sure you don't mix up AN fittings with JIC fittings, they have different tapers on the seats, and can lead to leaks if mixed. Check what you have, this might be the reason for the weeping in the first place.

[Edited on 25/6/09 by Phil.J]

BenB

posted on 25/6/09 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. It'll be the clutch. Might be the springs have gone soft but the only real way of finding out will be to open it up and have a shoofty....

I would have thought it would be possible to re-use the hoses and just fit new ends on them...

posted on 26/6/09 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
i was hoping you werent gonna say the clutch was goosed - but was trying to think owt else..

BUT - it was fine the other day with the temps a lot lower.. im wondering if the oil is getting too hot - for some reason i cannot get oil temp to *show* over 60deg on the guage - so i blanked off the oil cooler to see if i could get a response from the guage - it moved by about 5-10 deg - but the air has been quite warm recently.. im wondering if the oil temp isnt what the guage is telling me and it has gone higher (and thinner) hence slip.. maybe

or am i clutching at straws? lol - groan..

what oil is best ?

the oil hoses have just jubilee clips on so shouldnt be a problem..

the clutch im almost certain is already upgraded with 12k from new - no track work hardly so im sceptical of the clutch wearing out really - more thinking adjustment - but never had chance to get a good look at it yet just throwing some ideas around to think about

[Edited on 26/6/09 by :{THC}:YosamiteSam]

SJL

posted on 26/6/09 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have some brand new oil hoses here which I got with my Megabusa but I didnt use them.

I will measure them and let you know the dims if you are interested.

Frosty

posted on 26/6/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
You have a hydraulic clutch, so check that your pedal has a small amount of free play in it. I have found that the clutch springs change slightly, and so the pedal might sometimes be partly pressing on the clutch.

I would introduce some free play into the clutch by winding the clutch master cylinder push rod in a bit, meaning the pedal will have to move a bit further just to ensure no pressure is on the clutch.

This is the rod at the top of the clutch pedal assembly the other side of the bulkhead.

posted on 27/6/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Frosty
You have a hydraulic clutch, so check that your pedal has a small amount of free play in it. I have found that the clutch springs change slightly, and so the pedal might sometimes be partly pressing on the clutch.

I would introduce some free play into the clutch by winding the clutch master cylinder push rod in a bit, meaning the pedal will have to move a bit further just to ensure no pressure is on the clutch.

This is the rod at the top of the clutch pedal assembly the other side of the bulkhead.

hmmm - that does sound feasable - i have had probs with clutch adjustment - it is currently wound right to the furthest it will go at the master cylinder adjustment rod - giving me back a pedal which just disappeared one day few months back - i had presumed the seals had stopped sealing and a small amount of air may have gotten in the system so i wound the adjuster in a bit - cured - but to the end of the adjustment.. maybe that slight bit too far - will look at that

i also have gained that the push rod into the clutch seems to need around 4mm of movement to make sure the plates clear one another fully

anyone have an idea of best oil which aint £50 a gallon? lol (i'm just tight)

posted on 29/6/09 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJL
I have some brand new oil hoses here which I got with my Megabusa but I didnt use them.

I will measure them and let you know the dims if you are interested.

sorry for the delay - saw your post and didnt have time to reply - then forgot.. lol - yes - i will be taking it apart soon so will measure up see what i need cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.