Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 1.6 pinto head on a 2.0 pinto block.
Alex.

posted on 9/7/09 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
1.6 pinto head on a 2.0 pinto block.

Hi Guys,

Does the 1.6 Pinto head fit on the 2.0 pinto engine?

I read somewhere that the 1.6 head does fit and also raises the compression, but I can't now find where I read it!

My donor is going to be a 2.0 pinto transit with a low compression engine. As it is free, I was going to rebuild the engine and incorporate some cheap mods as I go!

Alex.

tegwin

posted on 9/7/09 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
That does not compute..

Surley the 2 Ltr Cyl head would flow the gasses MUCH better than that of the 1.6!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Alex.

posted on 9/7/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
As is usually the case, just after I ask the question I find the site I was reading!

The stuff I was reading was all about modifying the cylinder head with bigger valves and gas flowing. The 1.6 has a lower chamber volume, so can achieve a higher compression with less machining work. The 1.6 may be a better starting point than the 2.0, but it is only a starting point.

Can anyone confirm that the transit is low compression due to the head or pistons used?

Alex.

cd.thomson

posted on 9/7/09 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
yes the transit is low cr, as jpindy, hes turboing one i think and taking advantage of the starting low compression

Craig

jollygreengiant

posted on 9/7/09 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes the 1.6 head does fit onto the 2.0 block. and yes is does raise the compression from (on std car engine) from about 9:1 upto about 11:1.

I have done this in the past, however you are best off using the 1.6GT head for this, as the 1.6GT head comes equiped with 2.0 valves as standard and a 2.0 camshaft.

This trick works because the whole combustion chamber is in the head face and the size of the chamber required varies with the swept capacity of the engine. Hence this trick raises the compression of the engine. This would also work if you fitted the 1.3(Yes they did make a 1.3OHC engine)OHC head onto the 1.6OHC block. The first people to try a similar trick to this were the OHV (Kent) engine people where the trick was to swap the pistons for the next size down engine ie. 1.3 for 1.6 and 1.1 for 1.3 pistons as these had the combustion chamber in the top of the piston.

Hope this helps.

[Edited on 9/7/09 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

omega0684

posted on 9/7/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
yes the transit is low cr, as jpindy, hes turboing one i think and taking advantage of the starting low compression

not any more he's sold his pinto now and gone cosworth turbo power!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 9/7/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.6 Pinto head modified with big inlet, standard 2.0L exhaust, fully ported with the combustion chambers relieved around the areas where the valves would be shrouded, the plugs used to protrude to far in so inserts have been fitted for smaller diameter plugs.
Chambers are now 40cc each down from the standard 48cc 2.0L ones.
Compression is to high for unleaded and the pistons so will use a thicker Cometic gasket to get 10.5 to 1

The 1.6 head on a 2.0L block saves over skimming the head or welding the chambers but is still a lot of work.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

caber

posted on 9/7/09 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
How about the reverse? is it possible to put a 2L head on a 1.6 engine to get better breathing? Can enough be skimmed off the head to get a decent compression ratio, how much would that be?

TIA

Caber

jpindy3

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
if you put that 1.6 head on you transit pinto it will make your cr 10.1:1 as the transit block is 8.1:1 or something like that,
now what i would do is try and find some std pinto pistons as its the transit pistons that lower the cr,
so get those pistons and get the 2L head skimed it dont cost that much,
what ever head you use get a cheap die grinder and smooth out the inlets and give it a good polish,there is a cheap one in halfords, it dose the job slowly,i have a spair 2L head if you need it,
oh if you want to have a go at porting witch you can do with your new die grinder a little tip spray wd40 in the water ways around the port you grinding,
if you see smoke stop in that area as you are getting close to grinding through.

good luck

Ninehigh

posted on 10/7/09 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a low pressure mean it's good for turbo-ing?

In which case keep the cr low and turbo it

jpindy3

posted on 11/7/09 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
if he dose want to turbo it there is alot of fab you have to do,to make a exhaust manifold and you will need a megajolt or a squit,if you go carbs you need a pliunm chamber,
from reading his post he just wants to do some mods and i dont know if turboing was one of them,
if so he has missed out as i have just sold all the bits you need to turbo a pinto

Alex.

posted on 11/7/09 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

As the transit is free and has probably done a fair few miles (it is a van after all), I was just going to give it a spruce up with new standard car pistons.

While I was there, I was just thinking about cheap mods to do with the engine in bits.

Turboing would be nice and would match my daily driver, but a bit much work during the whole build. Maybe later...

Alex.

dblissett

posted on 12/7/09 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
the transit has a lower compression ratio by the fact that the piston height is lower.
so if you are having it rebored just get the standard pinto pistons and your c/r will be back up.
if it was me i would have it rebored to 2.1 ltr at the same time as the cost is almost the same
have a look at burton power website as all the pistons heights are on there and you can get the 2.1 pistons from there.

thats what i did and i had the head and the block sckimned 30 tho at the same time
it now runs on shell optimax only as it will pink with standard crappy unleaded in
good luck
Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.