Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: we buy any car . com?
owelly

posted on 10/7/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
we buy any car . com?

I'm looking to sell my Cherokee. It spends most of it's life sat outside the house so it needs to go.
I tried to sell it on Ebay a few months ago but it never got to anywhere near the reserve but there was still a lot of concern over the new 'supertax' on 4x4s. My car is two months short of the expensive tax!
I saw the advert for we buy any car.com so to try and get some idea of what the Jeep is worth, I filled in their online thingy and got a valuation of £5635. That was way more than the car reached on Ebay!! I thought they were like those 'we guarantee to buy your house' places and that they paid you £2.50 for a twelve bedroomed coutry house!
The we buy any car folks charge an admin fe of £49.99 but it's still odd that they are offering a comparatively good deal!

What do they do with these cars? Anyone had any experience with them?
Shoukld I give the Cherokee one last dip in the 'Bay or go for the Autotrader?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardh

posted on 10/7/09 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
an old work colleague sold his honda accord 2.4 petrol with all the trimmings for 8k to them. it was an 05 plate with low mileage. this was end of last year

Time for a change!

blakep82

posted on 10/7/09 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
they only wanted to give me pennies for mine ok its 13 years old now, but its worth more than the £400 they wanted to give me. i wouldn't

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

flak monkey

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
They will value your car at trade price pretty much. My bet would be that the decent ones end up in the used car supermarkets and the tatty ones in the auctions.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

iank

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a scam I'd expect they offer a good price to get you into the process and then ding it massively based on "poor condition" when someone inspects it - at which point you lose your £50 when you pull out or they get the car for a song.

Don't know for sure if that's what they do, but I'm certain they aren't a charity and that's a cynics view of what could happen.
Is there a bunch of small print around their offer allowing them to revise it at will?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

blakep82

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank
If it's a scam I'd expect they offer a good price to get you into the process and then ding it massively based on "poor condition" when someone inspects it - at which point you lose your £50 when you pull out or they get the car for a song.

i wouldn't say thats a scam, just business. i expect thats how it works too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

StevieB

posted on 10/7/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
I enquired how much they'd give me for my elise on their site - £3k.

Needless to say, I still have my elise...

pif

posted on 10/7/09 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
a friend of mine works for them. they are part of the car craft group so i guess if they think they can sell it on ata showroom they will offer a better price if not they will flog it on to one of their contacts so mhence a lower price.

will be a bit here today and gone tommorow if you ask me.

a way to make money out of sourcing cars.

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

speedyxjs

posted on 10/7/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I had two of my car valued by them about a year ago.

1997 3.2 Jaguar XJ6, Stunning condition, 100k, valued at £695

1998 1.6 Vx Astra Estate, Good Condition, 35k, valued at £750

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

edspurrier

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ex gf sold her Ka to them. Fair price - about trade and actually a bit more than PAtrker's guide. Very easy and convenient so have a look at their quote. They'll give you less than the quote if there's something you don't mention, otherwise seem fair
iank

posted on 10/7/09 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
quote:
Originally posted by iank

i wouldn't say thats a scam, just business. i expect thats how it works too

It's a scam if they make offers with no intention of buying for that price and the revised offer is well below true market value.

Sounds as if they are legit from other experiences, well as legit as any of those car supermarkets (some have extremely dodgy business practices).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MK9R

posted on 10/7/09 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
my mate soldd his freelander to them, got trade price for it, they knocked £100 off when he got there as he hadn't mentioned some dings, but he was more than happy with the deal. They didn't even drive the car or give it a mechanical check over, which was a good job as it was a freelander . My mate actually made money on it compared to what he bought it for 6 months ago off ebay!

So if you are happy with the quote, go for it.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 11/7/09 at 12:42 AM Reply With Quote
If they're gonna knock the price off it then use carcraft to sell it on they're due to make a fortune. I nearly bought a car off them, I say nearly because the repayments went up 5 times in half an hour and I hadn't even got the test drive I asked for!

They did offer a better price on my mondeo than any part ex was giving me though. Also they didn't give me an offer on "my" spanking new Maybach

Bob C

posted on 11/7/09 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
I used them to get a "market value" for my old pug - which was very useful in the PX negotiations at the garage for my 'new' car
JoelP

posted on 11/7/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
thats a lot of car for 5600 owelly If only the twonks at HMRC would hurry up my rebate

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

owelly

posted on 11/7/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
You can have it now and pay later if you want it Joel!!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

JoelP

posted on 11/7/09 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
You can have it now and pay later if you want it Joel!!

nice, like, later when i come out of bankrupcy?! If they dont hurry up and give me my money i may well be stuffed!

As an aside, i cant get my tax return in because bloody GMAC keep sending the wrong statements so i cant get details of my interest expenses, its really beginning to bug me! I had everything else ready on the 5th of april!

Probably unfair of me to expect HMRC to hurry up when its actually me causing the delay i suppose

[Edited on 11/7/09 by JoelP]

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.