Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: longer wheel stud length for alloys?
ned

posted on 15/3/04 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
longer wheel stud length for alloys?

I have my cortina hubs with original studs in, but understand they are a bit short for my alloys as there won't be enough thread for the nuts to hold onto. Anyone know what length replacement studs i need to order from raldes?

i'm getting near rolling chassis stage, so would be nice to know so the wheels fitter propper like!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 15/3/04 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember someone saying to replace the cortina studs with sierra ones....or was i imagining it?

Cheers
David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Berwyn

posted on 15/3/04 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget the more important bit, the taper ! I used the original nuts on my TSW alloys and neary knackered them as the taper in the wheel was different to the one on the nut.
Better off investing in some new nuts to matched the taper in your alloys.

ned

posted on 15/3/04 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
i have the nuts!

i also have some sierra uprights kickng about, so will swap the studs over. nice and cheap!

thanks!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 15/3/04 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
Any one know how much thread is needed through the wheel, to do the nut up proper like !!
Thanks
Jason

Staple balls

posted on 15/3/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
i *think*that on bolts/nuts you need a full 3 turns (at least) for saftey. not sure though

Mix

posted on 15/3/04 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
As a rule of thumb for a standard nut to be 'in safety' the thread of the bolt should protrude 1.5 threads. I know a lot of wheel nuts are closed but if you look at a standard nut that will fit your wheel studs then that will give you a good indication of the thread engagment required, (add a bit to allow for the taper). I would always err on the long side for peace of mind.

SB
I would strongly advise you never to consider three turns to be sufficient.

Mick

[Edited on 15/3/04 by Mix]

[Edited on 15/3/04 by Mix]

James

posted on 15/3/04 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
i have nuts!

i also have some sierra uprights kickng about, so will swap the studs over. nice and cheap!

I removed my studs to clean the hubs more easily- getting them out was hard... getting them back in nearly killed me!

At one point I nearly simultaneously broke the workmate, the vice and my foot all in one fell swoop!

James

wicket

posted on 15/3/04 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at this recent thread, also about studs and wheel nuts.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=11343

[Edited on 15/3/04 by wicket]

Alan B

posted on 15/3/04 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the 3 thread thing comes from 3 perfect internal threads engaging on 3 perfect external threads carry something like 90 odd % of the load...the rest beyond 3 add virtually nothing...

I am sure it is theoretically correct, but in the meantime I'll be looking for a lot more threads engaged.

When I was at Rockwell the rule for thread engagement was 1.5 x D into holes that were 2 x D deep...i.e. a 10mm screw to engage 15mm (min) into a 20mm deep (min) hole.....I still follow this rule of thumb

Deckman001

posted on 15/3/04 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, that clears it up loads, will have to order some new studs then, Bugger
Thanks for the info tho, better to know now than later !!

Jason

elitewiring

posted on 16/3/04 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
parts guy at ford main dealer said hes had kitcar owners in asking for this before, and he said that granada studs would do the job, he was totally correct, i think they were about 75 pence each.
minilight style wheels fitted to mine.

Deckman001

posted on 16/3/04 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Wicket, just read the post you linked to , sorry, seams like you are doing the same as i intend, RS alloys onto the cortina hubs, I take it you didn't get away with std studs, did you get them from Rally design along with the nuts, I have the nuts, just need the studs ( incase anyone has a spare set that wicket describes )

Jason

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.