eccsmk

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
17 year old

needs car insurance
my younger brother needs to renew his can insurance
he has a 1.2 corsa
Y reg
he used a comparison site this morning and the cheapest was £1,200

(changed his title to miss and it went down to £650)

so unless he has a sex change is there any other way to decrease the cost of his insurance

thank you locostbuilders

dan__wright

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
thats cheap, im 22 now but my first year at 17 was 1600 on a 1.1 106
graememk

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
put your mum on as a 2nd driver, even if she never uses the car
tegwin

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
As above... that sounds about right to me....

Insurance companies are buggers..... but unfortunately we have little choice but to bend over and take it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

need4speed

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
My lad just 18 got his 1.25 fiesta for £1000 with Churchill, but I think thats about the going rate for 17 / 18 year old boys.

Has he tried Quinn direct? thats who my other lad is with but the prices seem to have increased of late.

Dave

speedyxjs

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
As above. I got quoted 1800 quid for a 1.25 fiesta, put my mum on and it dropped to 800 quid

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
ditch the crappy boy racer chariot and buy an old classic like a Morris Minor or Triumph Vitesse etc etc. It will pay for itself in the end in lowered premiums

Insurance companies use the following formula -

Teenager + Corsa = Trouble

[Edited on 20/7/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
Try phoning brokers, both local and national (eg. Adrian Flux). I used them and elephant.co.uk when I was younger and had my old sporty motors and hot hatches (Mk2 Astra GTE, Mk3 Astra GSi, Cav GSi, Calibra turbo). Not sure how weel they'd compare with smaller engines, but worth a punt.

Also as mentioned, put at least one parent on the insurance - play around and see if it's ma or pa who puts the quote down, dependant on job status etc.

If you've got no NCB yourself, have you been on any other cars insurance previously? Worth mentioning, but no guarantees.

Perhaps consider limiting mileage? Most places ask how many miles you expect to do in the year; I have 2 cars insured at present, the 5-series (includes business miles), and SWMBO's clio which is limited to 5k miles a year, but I pay £150 f/c with her 21 and me 25 with 3 points.

Other little bits to include are car location - have you got a garage? Even if it's not useable all the time, tell them it'll be kept in the garage and it should knock a bit off. Don't lie though if you haven't got one, if they come round and check you've screwed and they'll either cancel your policy or hike it up! Anything off-road storage is a bonus, even a driveway.

And lastly, ask for quotes in writing, either by snail mail or e-mail. Then play companies off against each other, using the "we guarantee to beat any quote", and be prepared to lose a day on the phone to people!

Remember, be honest with them as any indescrepancies could lead to them cancelling your policy. Good luck, and happy hunting.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

jack_t

posted on 20/7/09 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
when i was 17 last year my insurance on a brand new corsa 1.2 was 1795 then in my second year (i was 18) it went down to 943
then i just got a brand new 1.7 turbo diesel astra and it only went up £165

btw i am with admiral

mad_dogpompey

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
thats rubbish.

my next door neighbour is 17 and female and keeps knocking my door asking me to park her car because she can t do it! so why do they get insurance half the price!!!! why doesn t he look at getting a bike and having alot more fun!!!! i d rather walk than pay that much!
tegwin

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_dogpompey
my next door neighbour is 17 and female and keeps knocking my door asking me to park her car because she can t do it! so why do they get insurance half the price!!!! why doesn t he look at getting a bike and having alot more fun!!!! i d rather walk than pay that much!

I dont think she reaaaly wants you to park her car.... I suspect she wants you to park something else as well

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

smart51

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad_dogpompey

Statistics. According to insurance claims, 86% of people are "normal" with 7% of people each being exceptionally good drivers or an exceptionally bad driver. The 86% are equal male and female. The two extremes are mostly male.

So how do you tell a good insurance risk from a bad one? The standard method is to ask how many claims have you made in the last 3 years? 1 big one or several small ones and your in the bad group and you add zeros to the end of your premium.

But what if you haven't had insurance before? How do you tell then? You don't other than teenage boys are more likely to be bad than girls. Premiums change as your no claims builds up (or doesn't). They have no good way of determining the risk of a new driver with no history.

Incidentally, my wife was on my kit insurance even though she never drove it. Putting her name on it lowered the premium. Not that I drove it any differently.

alistairolsen

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
in general, if a young bloke has a car accident, the car is ded, and quite possibly its occupants.

Young girls are far more likely to have an accident, but itll be a scrape on a 150 quid car not claimed for, or reversing into a wall, or the usual supermarket car park dings and crap.

DaveFJ

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Just looking at this myself and the choice of car maeks a huge difference! avoid all the boy racer cars and go for something 'girly' and it saves you a fortune!

looking at a 900cc Fiat Seciento for £700 and insurance for a 17 year old girl who has just passed her test... £395 TP only..... no other named drivers

actually we are going to insure for the wife and myself to drive as well but i dont know which way that will push the premium.

its the best deal i could find...

One thing you have to be very careful about nowadays, named drivers... basically if you insure as a parent and name you sprog as a driver but they are the predominant driver of the vehicle the insurance is invalid! dont know how they check but apparently they are really clamping down on it

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

deezee

posted on 20/7/09 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
My advice, for what its worth.

A) Get a smaller engine. 1.0 Corsa is going to be much cheaper to insure.
B) Having a parent as the main policy holder does make it much cheaper, but you obviously run the risk of getting caught out.
C) Get a older car. I was insured on my MGB GT when I were a lad, for £190 a year. Plus it was tax exempt :-)

DarrenW

posted on 20/7/09 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Im curious why he needs to renew his insurance at 17 years old? Im guessing his policy was cheap while learning, just passed and ins company has hiked it up substantially.

Putting a parent on policy sounds like a plan if it works. I guess that is different to a parent putting their child on the policy. What about 3rd party only? Smaller engined car or a classic may be sensible until he has some good history and a couple more years under him.

morcus

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
When I tried to get insurance on classic cars, most said no to under 25's and I tried a fair few cars (I really wanted a humber or a woesley).
DaveFJ

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
Just looking at this myself and the choice of car maeks a huge difference! avoid all the boy racer cars and go for something 'girly' and it saves you a fortune!

looking at a 900cc Fiat Seciento for £700 and insurance for a 17 year old girl who has just passed her test... £395 TP only..... no other named drivers

actually we are going to insure for the wife and myself to drive as well but i dont know which way that will push the premium.

its the best deal i could find...

One thing you have to be very careful about nowadays, named drivers... basically if you insure as a parent and name you sprog as a driver but they are the predominant driver of the vehicle the insurance is invalid! dont know how they check but apparently they are really clamping down on it

I take that all back!

just tried to follow up on the quote given and got knocked back
now looking at £1800

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

graememk

posted on 20/7/09 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
insurance in your brothers name but parent as a named extra driver
ReMan

posted on 20/7/09 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Beware the Quinn, who will double the insurance when the test is passed, as we just learnt
Now with Elephant, but as said get a parent/s as named drivers

eccsmk

posted on 20/7/09 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
all sorted now thanks peeps
he is going to borrow mothers car as a named driver

his old company (no idea who it was)
cancelled his policy for some reason after a mistake on their part

anway all sorted thank you once again locostbuilders

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.