Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: highway code rules for towing
asl

posted on 23/7/09 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
highway code rules for towing

Hi. Please could someone enlighten me with the rules regarding towing?

I seem to remember when I read the highway code for my test (16 years ago, where does the time go!!!? that I can't occupy the outside lane but is that just motorway or is the same rule for a roads or is that just for artic lorries?

Is there max speed when towing?

Cheers

eccsmk

posted on 23/7/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
try here
im not sure if it will help you but worth a try

omega0684

posted on 23/7/09 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Online Highway Code Linky

even better

Towing Rules Linky

[Edited on 23/7/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 23/7/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I looked into the towing situation it was so complicated I came away even more confused than when I started. I'm not convinced I'm allowed to tow at all, since I got my licence after some cutoff date in 1997, but I do anyway.

Traffic copper had a word with me one time when towing a car behind a Volvo estate I borrowed off my parents. He didn't seem to know what the rules were either, was more concerned as to whether my insurance covered me as I was relying on the third party extension. Once that was clarified, he was on his way.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 23/7/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
You are governed by the same rules as Artics, no outside lane and the speed limit is lower for you as well. The maximum speed limit is 60 if towing a trailer.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

alistairolsen

posted on 23/7/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
You are governed by the same rules as Artics, no outside lane and the speed limit is lower for you as well. The maximum speed limit is 60 if towing a trailer.

or 50 depending on weight

SteveWalker

posted on 23/7/09 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
You may not use the outside lane on a motorway or dual carriageway with three or more lanes (you can on a two lane section).

For a normal car/trailer combination, the speed limit is 60 on a motorway or dual carriageway, 50 on other roads or the speed limit, whichever is lower.

With a post 97 licence you can tow as follows:

Vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes (category B) with a 750kg trailer (4.25 tonnes total MAM).

Category B vehicles with larger trailers i.e. > 750kg, provided that the combined MAM does not exceed 3.5 tonnes and the gross MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle. To be able to tow combinations outside this ruling requires the passing of an additional test.

For further info, take a look at The NTTA website

asl

posted on 23/7/09 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys I'm really glad I asked as it occurred to me today while I was doing 70 in the outside lane of the A3.
RickRick

posted on 23/7/09 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
ok since someone seems to understand this, i know i didn't i've got the post 97 licence so i'm restricted. i want to tow a 1000kg trailer. How/can i legaly do that without taking the extended test
jollygreengiant

posted on 23/7/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RickRick
ok since someone seems to understand this, i know i didn't i've got the post 97 licence so i'm restricted. i want to tow a 1000kg trailer. How/can i legaly do that without taking the extended test

You have already answered the question. You can't legally without taking the test.

Legally if you get stopped, then your licence is invalid and your insurance insurance is also therfore invalid. Therfore you get done for no driving licence and done for no insurance. Also the boys in blue would be entitled to relieve you of you car and trailer. And since you would be unlikely to pass the advanced driving trailer test within the alloted time it would be goodbye to them. plus points on your licence and very hefty fines no doubt.
That is how I would interpret the law.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 23/7/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

if the 1000kg is the MAM of the trailer, you will have to tow it with a car with a unladen weight greater than 1000kg AND a MAM of less than 2500kg's.

edit to add: i think the train weight MAM has to be less than 3500kg's hence the car being lighter than 2500.

[Edited on 23/7/09 by dinosaurjuice]

SteveWalker

posted on 23/7/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:

You have already answered the question. You can't legally without taking the test.

Legally if you get stopped, then your licence is invalid and your insurance insurance is also therfore invalid. Therfore you get done for no driving licence and done for no insurance. Also the boys in blue would be entitled to relieve you of you car and trailer. And since you would be unlikely to pass the advanced driving trailer test within the alloted time it would be goodbye to them. plus points on your licence and very hefty fines no doubt.

Yes he can. As long as the MAM of the trailer is less than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle, the MAM of the trailer plus the MAM of the towing vehicle is less than 3.5 tons and the manufacturer's towing weight for the tow vehicle is at least equal to the trailer's MAM.

All this assumes that the trailer is braked (as should be any trailer over 750kg).

Please take a look at the link I posted before Linky again

alistairolsen

posted on 24/7/09 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:

What the hell are you on about?

If the MAM of the trailer is 1000kg then he must tow it with a car with an unladen mass of greater than 1000kg, however the tow vehicle and trailer must have a combined MAM not in excess of 3500kg.

His tow vehicle must therefore be more than 1000kg unladen and less than 2500kg MAM, so any large saloon car, Small van etc

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.