Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Loose nuts
MautoK

posted on 23/7/09 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Loose nuts

After only 150 miles OTR I thought I'd check the nuts & bolts on the suspension and found the nut+locknut (30mm AF) on the rear upper NS were slack. This was despite having a tab washer between them and having assembled it with a fair bit of grunt.

How often do you / should you check your nuts?
John.

Maybe could have phrased it better!

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

lotusmadandy

posted on 23/7/09 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
John,

I check mine often.They have come slack a couple of times until i put a dab of thread glue on them.
They havent come loose again but better safe than sorry.

Andy

richardh

posted on 23/7/09 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
on newly built kits check after every run

the longer run in the less frequent you might need to check

Moral is if its gonna come loose then its bound to do it first off and if you do keep seeing the same ones coming loose then adopt different colour threadlock

Time for a change!

MikeCapon

posted on 23/7/09 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
If you find fixings coming loose with Loctite blue (normal threadlock) don't be scared to use the green (extra strong) stuff. All you need to undo a threaded fixing secured with green Loctite is to heat it to around 150°C and it will come undone OK.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 23/7/09 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the big nuts on the hub carrier I have wire locked them so even if they loosen they will not unwind... I would check after every run (I have used white paint to allow quick visual checks)..

Dan

Jimbob

posted on 23/7/09 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with the paint line for quick visual check
Try center punching the exposed thread, at least if they do come loose they cant come off and a quick tickle with a file allows removal if required

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 23/7/09 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
The nut might not be turning, the preload on the assembly could be decreasing for another reason, meaning you have to turn the nut a bit to tighten it back up. So if you painted a line on it to see if the nut has turned, you could think the assembly is it ok when it isnt.

Tab washers are normally quite soft, you can torque the nut a few times over a 100 miles or so before knocking the tab over. Just to make sure everything has settled down.

Paul

[Edited on 23/7/09 by Cousin Cleotis]

Angus180

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
i use tap washers, nylon nuts, thread lock, or you cant go wrong with wirelocking the the bolt heads.
MautoK

posted on 23/7/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys; a lot a good points there.
I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.