Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel pump for bike carbs
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/7/09 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel pump for bike carbs

Hi there,

Anyone out there in internet land got a fuel pump for a carbed bike engine.

I have a zx9 one, which isn't giving enough flow (not clear whether it is a design feature or a knackered pump, but its no good for me).

I'm in Oxford and am at home looking after my son tomorrow, so would like to get it sorted. So, if you have something in your shed that you want to turn into cash then drop me a u2u (especially if you are local-ish).

Matt

[Edited on 26/7/09 by matt_gsxr]

jpindy3

posted on 26/7/09 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
ring malc at yorkshire engines 07960011585
matt_gsxr

posted on 26/7/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Malc is always great you are right.

But I want it NOW (no patience), its always surprising who is around with the bit you need.

I was hoping that with all these people upgrading to EFI that there would be some pumps just waiting to be relieved from their spot in a shed.

Matt

will121

posted on 27/7/09 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
has it worked ok before? when i tested my zx9 pump with just a tank and short pipes it pumped a hell of a lot. is it connected electrically the right way round as believe it will actually pump both ways but more efficent the right way
matt_gsxr

posted on 27/7/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Will,

Very interesting questions.

Yes it pumps, and if I measure at its output it pumps nearly 2litres/minute.

Once I have it going through the normal pipe route (mostly 8mm o.d. copper tubing stuff of about 2 meters, and then a filter) it drops off to 750 ml/min. Fuel filter removed then it is 900ml/min. I am not 100% sure what I need but based on 150bhp (and 0.54 pints / bhp / hour) this would be 1.62pints/min, which is about 1 litre/min. The other thing is that I think the pump is a bit variable.

What flow rate do you get out of the pump? Do you have a post-pump filter (anything special?).

I drove over to a bike breakers today, and the new pump delivers 1.1 litre/min (after the 8mm pipe but with no filter).

I have had a look at the old pump, and it looks like the electrics on the back are a bit tired. I will investigate with water and different pressures to see how it works. I will also re-check the electrics, I hadn't realised that it would pump with the electrics wrong!

UPDATED:
Wow, these pumps work (almost) fine with the power connected the other way around. At the engine end (i.e. end of 2meters of 8mm copper) I get 2pints in 55seconds with the correct polarity and 2pints in 63seconds when its the wrong way around. With no load the flow rates are almost identical (wierd). With a filter-in-line the 55secs increases to 70seconds, so I am going to run filterless until I sort out my present problems (actually the finger is pointing at me being an idiot, but I will confirm before posting!).

I had the polarity on the pump set-up fine.

Matt

[Edited on 27/7/09 by matt_gsxr]

will121

posted on 28/7/09 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
hope you get it sorted ok, its good to see actual figures to confirm the right electrical connections. 8mm fuel pipe by the sound of it seems bit of a restriction would be interesting to see how puch the pressure drops of with maximum flow too, what engine are you running? with regards to filter im just running a basic clear glass inline filter but with the state/cleanliness of fuel would say some form of filter would be necessary in the long term. keep things updated
matt_gsxr

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
Will,

I think you are right regarding the 8mm copper tube. Actually it is 8mm o.d. so the internal diameter is even smaller.

I am tempted to run 10mm hose from the back to the front of the car and be done with it. You can't have too much fuel flow.

Engine is gsxr1100wp on 40mm mikuni carbs.

I will get one of those glass filters with the mess inside. I have one of these on the inlet to the fuel pump and it doesn't appear to restrict flow at all. This should catch the big stuff, and long-term I'm going to fuel inject anyway.

Thanks,

Matt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.