Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Has Massa made you think twice?
speedyxjs

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Has Massa made you think twice?

I was out on the road today and wondered if Massa's accident had made anyone think twice about using an aeroscreen on a car?

We dont have the funds to buy expensive helmets like professional race drivers and something falling/thrown from a car on the motorway or any road infact, could have serious consequences if we were to hit that something at speed.

Discuss??

Angus180

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
with my seroscreen i get hit my smal stones and fat flys of lorrys which arnt that good
omega0684

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
any helmet is better than no helmet in my eyes, i will be wearing mine every time from now on
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Davey D

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
It's only like riding a motorbike though... If something flies up and hits you on a bike you don't have 4 wheels to keep you from falling off and hurting yourself even more

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I see all sorts of stuff that falls of wagons and cars.
Suppose working in the street environment you see more than people in cars.
The number of nuts and bolts is scary.....and the bad ones are the very big bolts.....cause they came off a truck somewhere.
Saw a truck have a blow out about 10 meters from where we were today and boy did the rubber fly.....

daniel mason

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
it never made me think twice until i set off down the road last night, coming out of the 30 mph zone i floored it only to find i had not fastned one of my bonett catches. it lifted, riped the other 3 catches off,smashed me on the helmet and smashed in pieces! if i was not wearing helmet i would probably have been knocked out at the wheel.
speedyxjs

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
it never made me think twice until i set off down the road last night, coming out of the 30 mph zone i floored it only to find i had not fastned one of my bonett catches. it lifted, riped the other 3 catches off,smashed me on the helmet and smashed in pieces! if i was not wearing helmet i would probably have been knocked out at the wheel.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Nash

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
An Aeroscreen wouldn't stop much and you are no less protected on a motorcycle the in the kit (as long as you wear a lid). So no Massa's header does't make me think twice.

How many miles are driven and how many freak accidents are there?

The odds are greater then tripping and bashing your noggin.

IMHO

.......... Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

Miketheconn

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
I thought Massa was doing circa 160 when he got hit.

I would be impressed if any of you had got up to that sort of speed on any of the motorways I plod up and down on each week.

My heap of rusty metal won't have a screen (if it ever gets built) and I'll be using an ordinary helmet.

Mike

TimC

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
I must be honest, I've thought about the consequence of any future decision to buy a Hans device.. not really thought it through but did make me wonder if Massa was restricted from moving right.

David Jenkins

posted on 28/7/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a few unidentified flying things bang into my helmet visor over the past few years - made me jump a fair bit!

Nothing big - bumble bees, big beetles, bits of gravel, and so on, but any of those could have hurt enough to ruin my ability to drive.

I wear my helmet - until I've finished and fitted my windscreen.

Toltec

posted on 28/7/09 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
It's only like riding a motorbike though... If something flies up and hits you on a bike you don't have 4 wheels to keep you from falling off and hurting yourself even more

There was ambulance/police program on the the other day, they had a biker hit by a pheasant, it ripped off the visor and smashed his cheek bone.

Years ago I was just starting to overtake a van when one of the sheets of ply on the roof came loose, twisted sideways towards me and flipped over my ducking head. Shit happens!

If someone drops a brick off a motorway bridge even a windscreen may not save you.

Wear a full face helmet, keep your eyes open and don't worry about the what ifs you cannot do anything about.

[Edited on 28/7/09 by Toltec]

Mr G

posted on 28/7/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=101674

Discussion from December last year on the subject - the link no longer goes to the news story but roughly a driver on the A12 was killed when a piece of debris was flicked up by a lorry and went through his winscreen in a tin top.

EDIT: Link

[Edited on 28/7/09 by Mr G]

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

thunderace

posted on 28/7/09 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
i got hit in the windscreen in a merc sprinter by a pallet the fell off a truck i was doing 60 at the time on the motoway i never even seen itjust heard the bang a good job i was not on my motorbike.
was shocked how much damage it done to the van ,took a week off work with full pay as i dit get hurt.

Peteff

posted on 28/7/09 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I was following a lorry, possibly a bit too closely on the M1 and he ran over a silencer on the road with his rear wheels and threw it up and it went over my head. If I'd been further back it may have landed on my helmet and I doubt I would have been conscious after, it was a big lump of metal but if it had hit an ordinary car windscreen it would probably have been serious. You can't dwell on stuff or you'd never go anywhere.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 28/7/09 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miketheconn

true enough, but i still wouldn't fancy getting hit in the face by a rock at 40

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

gingerprince

posted on 29/7/09 at 02:25 AM Reply With Quote
Went for a blast on Monday on a route I'd often go with just shades, but this time I took the helmet. Must have been subliminal!
scootz

posted on 29/7/09 at 05:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
I must be honest, I've thought about the consequence of any future decision to buy a Hans device.. not really thought it through but did make me wonder if Massa was restricted from moving right.

To be fair... there's not the room in an F1 cockpit to move your head all that much (with or without the HANS). Also, at that speed he would barely have had time to blink / flinch.

I think he has a fracture at the base of his skull which is consistent with a significant whiplash... had he not been wearing the HANS then I'm pretty sure he would have had a (fatally) broken neck to add to his woes!

I guess it all comes down to "what if"? Most mundane aspects of life alone involve potentially fatal risks... you can only do your best!

RickRick

posted on 29/7/09 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
didn't it push his head backwards, not sure the hans device would really offer any help there
speedyxjs

posted on 29/7/09 at 06:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miketheconn

Yeah but the spring was travelling in the same direction so the impact speed was much lower.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

rf900rush

posted on 29/7/09 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
Fitted a screen last year.
Still get het hit by small stones. I think most come up from my own front tyres.

Still were a helmet if going on a longer journeys.

Local trips to the shops when it's sunny - no helmet.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 29/7/09 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
yes, it has made me think but you have to take the likelihood of something like that happening.

About 10 yr ago I was on M25, in the era when traffic moved on it, and lorry pulled out into middle lane ot overtake .... and continued pulling out until it was scraping agaisnt the central concrete barrier, tipping over at 45 degrees letting loose beer kegs of lager.

How do I know it was lager? Some had burstr and were spraying the stuff.

I had one car infront of me and lorry and botrh came back unscathed but on opposte side, there was a porsche 911
with a beer keg in its windscreen which. Been impressed by Porsches ever since.

So poo happens but if you want to be 100% safe, stay at home and don't get out of bed. I'll bet more limbs are broken getting out of bed than Massa type injuries.

DaveFJ

posted on 29/7/09 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
went out for a blat on sunday night and took my helmet where i would have just worn sunglasses before... it definately made me think twice!

as for 'we cant make it to 160'... we dont have to! if something comes off or dropped from a vehicle coming the other way then the closing speed can easily be fatser that 160!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

Richard Quinn

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
A mate of mine had a metal object (valve fitting or similar) flicked up by the wagon in front. This went through both the front and rear screens!! He was with his wife and two kids at the time and it passed straight through the middle of the car without physically harming any of them. This type of incident really is a matter of luck and wrong place, wrong time.
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 1/8/09 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZybt3

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.