Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any electricians in the house?
Guinness

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Any electricians in the house?

I'm having a new Salamander Shower Pump installed on Monday.

It's going in the airing cupboard in the existing bathroom, but supplying the new ensuite in the attic.

Being in the airing cupboard in the existing bathroom means there isn't much electricity nearby!

I think I have four options:-

1. Take a fused spur off the lighting circuit in the bathroom. The pump is only rated at 2.4 amps. Easiest, but potentially dodgy.

2. Take a fused spur off the supply to the electric shower in the bathroom. Shower is on it's own 32amp breaker. Easy ish, but not sure if I'd be allowed.

3. Take a spur from the existing ring main in either the attic or first floor. Will mean a fair bit of cabling through walls / ceilings / lifting a few floor boards.

4. Take a dedicated spur from one of the spare ways in the existing DB in the understairs cupboard on the ground floor. Will mean major disturbance in the force.

Am I allowed to put a fused spur in the airing cupboard in a bathroom? Or does the pump need to be wired back outside the bathroom? The central heating pump is already in the airing cupboard, but the supply to that is switched via the c/h controls on the ground floor.

Cheers

Mike

t16turbotone

posted on 29/7/09 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
hello, firstly please do not connect to lighting circuit! yes you are allowed to put new switched spur box in airing cupboard. just spur off upstairs sockets- please make sure that this circuit is rcd protected
wilkingj

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I think you may need to get it tested and certified by a correctly qualified electrician.

Consider it like car insurance.
If the house burns down and its proved to be your wiring (not correctly done - electrically wise) they could refuse to pay out. You know what insurance companies are like.

I know that the rules for all wiring changed a couple of years ago.

I agree... Dont run it off the lighting circuit.

What ever you do.... do it properly.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Vindi_andy

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
You can spur off the back of an existing socket which is on your ring main circuit. But it should be run off an RCD. there are 2 way to achieve this.

1. RCD protection of ring main in main board (this may already be in place in not fairly easy and relatively cheap to do.

2. buy an RCD protected outlet.

As it is a spur you won't need it checking off.

This is coming from my colleague who is 17th edition and part P qualified.

SteveWalker

posted on 29/7/09 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not 100% sure how restrictive things are, but both bathrooms and kitchens are now deemed special locations and almost any electrical work in them requires either a building notice or a registered electrician.

Personally, I'd be tempted to look for some red and black twin and earth, wire it myself (safely) and pretend that it had been in from before the rules changed!

s2gse

posted on 29/7/09 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
option 3 would be best and install an 30ma RCD 13amp fused spur with 5 amp fuse

all equipment within a bathroom should be protected by an RCD

life's to short and so was the drive

JoelP

posted on 29/7/09 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
hi mike! Dont worry about part P, i know plenty of sparks who didnt get registered and actually trade with no ticket, and dont get caught. Im sure you know how to wire it to the regs so just DIY. Wire colour also isnt important as there was a 3 month overlap before fart P came in.

Sticking my neck into the firing line, you can connect it to anything you like so long as you know how to prove you designed it properly. Ie just because its called a shower circuit doesnt mean you cant change it to a 'shower and pump' circuit, with correct fusing of course.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.