Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter over-run?
Hugh_

posted on 2/8/09 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Starter over-run?

Got to that point where I was ready to try the first start this afternoon; but have a few issues!

Initially the solenoid clicked (engaged?) but the starter didnt spin. I tried jumping it with another car and it span but wouldn't engage. I disconnected the jump leads and tried again, this time the engine turned over very slowly, but kept turning over once I released the key from the start position I had to use the master switch to stop it spinning. I checked for shorts on the start circuit, didn't find any and tried again (using jump leads from another car again), the same result, only this time with added smoke and melted (ignition and battery) wires on the ignition barrel.

I've had a look for shorts to no avail, any thoughts on whether it might be a dodgy component?

Cheers
Hugh

car builder

posted on 2/8/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
i would say your starter motor is faulty, have you tried hitting it with a hammer?
grazzledazzle

posted on 2/8/09 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Is the key releasing fully? If you fancy a bit more melting try hot wiring it briifly and see if the starter runs on. That will rule the switch out as the problem?
mark chandler

posted on 2/8/09 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sticky solinode will do that.

The solenoid pushes out the cog, at the back of this is a high current switch so when the gear is engaged it hits the switch which provides full current straight from the battery.

While the solinode is operating power is also applied to the motor itself to ensure the gears mesh.

If the solinode is grubby then it may not release, engine cranking when key is released.

If it has not made contact at the rear of the housing then you will be trying to crank the engine via the ingnition switch, burnt wires and slow cranking.

Pull the starter and split the solinode, really good clean with spirits, do not oil assemble dry.

You could of course wired it incorrectly, you have a fat wire directly to the battery terminal which usually extends on to the alternator, a thin wire to the ignition, probally a spade fixing.

Regards Mark

MakeEverything

posted on 2/8/09 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful with this, and make sure its fixed. Cars burst into flames when the starter melts down because its stuck on or engaged. The starter will overheat and catch fire.

Just be aware of this and watch for the signs for the first months once you think youve sorted it.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

ss1turbo

posted on 2/8/09 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the starter has got stuck - are you sure it matches both the gearbox AND the flywheel?

Long live RWD...

Hugh_

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the ideas, I'll should be able to spend some time on the car at least 1 evening this week so will report back then.

Cheers
Hugh

MakeEverything

posted on 15/8/09 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well? How did you get on?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.