Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: bloody speedo
Angus180

posted on 3/8/09 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
bloody speedo

my speedo is not working as i have two out of the 4 magnets stuck to my prop shaft just waiting for some new ones, for the insurance they need my mileage but it had just jumped from 9000ish to 11000? what is going on? what do i do? help
tomprescott

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rewind your speedo and lie! If your mileage is reading as 11,000 then thats because it recorded 11,000 from the dodgy magnets, wind it back to where you think it should be and fit new speedo cable and sensor!
Angus180

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
its not cable just magic wires, its jumped to 1127.3 so not sure what to do. hopefull the magnets will come tomorrow and it will go up correctly. just about to send the mileage decleration off now.
MikeLR

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
When I lost one of two magnets the spedo read half the correct speed and recorded half the correct mileage !
Mike

MikeRJ

posted on 3/8/09 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeLR
When I lost one of two magnets the spedo read half the correct speed and recorded half the correct mileage !
Mike

That would certainly be the normal, and expected symptom.

richard

posted on 3/8/09 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Our speedo only uses two magnets and when one came off it read less than half,so not sure wha ttype you have.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
miikae

posted on 3/8/09 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
As above , mine uses 2 magnets , if you loose 1 thats half he count so half the recorded speed .

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 3/8/09 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
As above ^^^

I only have 2 magnets and one fell off on the way to SVA so it was reading about 35mph on the motorway! I reset it to half the number of pulses per mile and it was pretty much spot on for the test.

02GF74

posted on 3/8/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I am sure it should be possible to reset the speedo but this is not something the manufacturer's tell yiou about in the instruction booklet.

if it is a real concern, you would need to connect the speedo to a pulse generator and "wind" it round the clock to your required reading.

you could try calling the manufacturers but I'd be surprised they would tell you - at best you would need to send your speedo away.

how much would you save insurance wise? maybe worthwhile having two identical speedos and swapping them out - not that I would ever condone such a thing.

still doesn't explain how the speedo shot up from 9k to 11k - did you drive 2k miles perchance?

Angus180

posted on 4/8/09 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
ahhhh, ive stuck the four magnets on, i drive 1 known mile and it reads 0.4. the needle does not move around the dial .doesnt not move up the scale .. . .
miikae

posted on 4/8/09 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Whats the gap like between the sensor and the magnets too much gap and they do not read true , speedo needle can be a bit slugish and it will read low.

Mike

If it can be done it i will be done .

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.