Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DIY Oil Catch Can
RK

posted on 12/8/09 at 01:46 AM Reply With Quote
DIY Oil Catch Can

I know how expensive these things are to buy, but this one should be pretty much free. Looks like a fun project too.

http://autospeed.com.au/A_110826/cms/article.html

and for those who like things a little more complicated...

http://www.turbophile.com/technical/diy_catch_can.html

If anyone else does this, let us know how it turned out!

[Edited on 12/8/09 by RK]

robocog

posted on 12/8/09 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is a DIY..
99p cofee/sugar/tea caddy (chrome plated!)
3 hosepipe to tap barbs
cheapo filter with the cotton removed and replaced with body repair aluminium mesh as the cotton clogs with moisture damned quick

Finished item...prior to finding out that moisture blocks the cheapo cotton filters leading to me designing a filterless filter :-)

Works every bit as good as the expensive ones...admittedly not as comical as the recycled beer can or the "how full is it at a glance?" coke bottle versions

Regards
Rob

[Edited on 12/8/09 by robocog]

David Jenkins

posted on 12/8/09 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
That's very interesting - I made mine out of a Halfords water bottle, and it's not 100% successful:

I think that one problem is that the water bottle is double-skinned - this means that the oil vapour doesn't get cooled down as it passes through so some does go out of the so-called filter.

The idea of filling the oil separator with stainless scouring pads looks interesting - I guess that the idea is to put lots of obstacles in the path of the vapour, so that it condenses and drips down to the bottle of the bottle.

nitram38

posted on 12/8/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
The simple catch can with a filter is only going to breathe at crankcase pressure. This is ok, but many engines are designed to "draw" the oil fumes into the inlet manifold and burn them.
This also has the benefit of better crankcase ventilation. The downside is that excessive oil returning to your pistons is going to cause a loud bang!
A better way with a catch tank is to not use a filter, but return the pipe to your inlet manifold/airfilter (if you can).
Catch tanks in racing are only specified in the rules to save oil ejection onto the track, but as a side benefit will help the driver/mechanic know if the engine is on it's way out.
I've fitted one to the MotaLeira (R1) simply to prevent oil induction into the airbox should I overfill the oil and the engine spits it out.

Ken-J

posted on 24/8/09 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I made a new blow-by ( oil catch ) tank for old crossflow kent.

this tank has 2 chambers, one is for breather return to intake manifolds through PCV,other is for crank case breathing to air filter.

So,this device can better crankcase ventilation, i think.
but motor idle speed became a bit higher.

cheers,
ken-J

i'm still crossflow.
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/469643/profile/

http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/469643/car/412192/photo.aspx

jacko

posted on 24/8/09 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
This is mine a spray gun can
[img][/img]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.