Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Camshaft timing(Peugeot engine)
locosaki

posted on 12/8/09 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Camshaft timing(Peugeot engine)

I've just been taking cam timing figures from my brothers MI16 engine after he rebuilt the engine,The car went good before hand so we just put it back to orginal timing marks.Anyhow I got the DTI gauge today and timing disc just to ensure all figures were correct before dropping engine back in the car.Now when I set the timing on my locost I'm certain the inlet valve starts to open before TDC,However on this Peugeot we have 0.050 lift at 14 degrees after TDC,Anyone know if this sounds correct.

If anyone knows anything about these mi 16 motors feel free too add,I know very little !!!

Regards Mike

clairetoo

posted on 13/8/09 at 06:20 AM Reply With Quote
Are they hydraulic tappets - if so , they will need to be `pumped up` , or the timing checked at peak lift (lobe centers) . I think...........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

f750sgr

posted on 13/8/09 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
How far before TDC is it. Remember pistons are almost stationery BTDC and have very little movement for a short period ATDC. Having valves closed on the down stroke will cause a vacuum in the cylinder, which may or may not be the desired effect.
Most engines have different requirements.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 13/8/09 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Claire is spot on, they do have hydraulic followers and they have very likely bled down whilst the engine was stripped.
clairetoo

posted on 13/8/09 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Claire is spot on, they do have hydraulic followers and they have very likely bled down whilst the engine was stripped.

So it's a degree wheel on the crank , set TDC very accurately , then check the cam position either side of peak lift with a dial gauge on the cam follower........a bit of maths , and set them to around 110 degree's.......not quite a five minute job

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

locosaki

posted on 13/8/09 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys,

I contacted HiFlow Heads today who are quite well known pug engineers up my way,Anyway I was told that the best way to set up the MI motor is to measure lift at TDC,The lobe centre method is apparantly a little bit hit or miss on the MI,Anyway it turns out my first readings were incorrect,I did infact have 0.020 lift at TDC,To get good power lower down the rev range I'm looking for 0.060 lift at TDC which in turn will bring the lobe centres closer together.I got the car timed up tonight as it has verniers o it made the job a little easier,Still took a few hours though,Thanks for your help.

Craig

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.