Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike Carbs. Which are the best?
geoffxt

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Bike Carbs. Which are the best?

I'm building a luego xt and intend fitting a 2.0l pinto which I inherited with the kit. I have a 32/36 weber and also twin 40 dellortos. However, from what I have read in the forum there are many of you running bike carbs which seem to run quicker and more economically that either of the options I have. Is this right and if so what carbs have you used and how easy were they to adapt and use with a pinto?
RichardK

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
I am using Honda hornet cb600 carbs but anything over 600cc on carbs is ok, same goes for the fuel pump but possibly maybe try and get them off the same bike/model.

Some are easier to space than others there again I found it easier to make the manifold to match the carbs.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
Late ZX9R carbs on mine. 40mm and TPS.
Early ZX ones don't have the TPS.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

cryoman1965

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
I'm using GSXR600srad with the trumpets. These in the link are a overpriced. But gives you an idea.

N

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUZUKI-GSXR600-GSXR-600-SRAD-98-CARBS-CARBURETTORS_W0QQitemZ390081419262QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item5ad2aa17 fe&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

bigpig

posted on 15/8/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a set of Robin Hood CBR 600 carbs. Come with Mainfold & re-jet and I bought a piper cross sausage filter at the time too. Cost about £350.

Comes with bolts, new mainfold gasket and throttle cable and you just bolt it on and set up advance (apparrently 30 deg at 3500 rpm).

The old additional bits I bought were a cable brake adjuster (lever end) 90 degree bend (block brake end of cable) , choke cable (from ebay) and teflon cables (with barrel nipples to grind to fit). That lot from Halfords for little over a tenner + about 7 quid off ebay for a generic choke cable.

I stuck with the standard pinto mechanical fuel pump and it works fine.

jacko

posted on 15/8/09 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i used zx9r carbs and made my manifold
have a look in my photos under zx9r + manifold
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lotusmadandy

posted on 15/8/09 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have used zzr1100 carbs and made my manifold.the whole lot cost £11.50
and work a treat.The only minus with them is no tps but i am going to mod them to take one for my zetec.

Andy

blakep82

posted on 15/8/09 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
i've bout both zzr1100 and zx9r carbs for mine, and i'd say best go with zx9r with TPS. they're slightly smaller than the zzr1100 too i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

vinnievector

posted on 16/8/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
My carbs

I have a set of R1 carbs Boggs manfold ,and piper X fillter Facet pump and fuel regulator. Rescued attachment Picture 524_640x480.jpg
Rescued attachment Picture 524_640x480.jpg

geoffxt

posted on 16/8/09 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of your replies which gives me a broad choice of bike carbs. Vinevector - those Boggs carbs do look impressive! Looking at those and some of the other replies it seems that the majority may have made up manifolds to adapt to the original alignment of the carbs. rather than modifying the carbs by perhaps 'opening up' the spacing between them? If so, is the manifold difficult to fabricate to suit?
Thanks,
geoffxt aka 'little geoff'

David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/09 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Geoff,

I respaced my CBR600 carbs - full details under the 'bike carburettors' link on my homepage (see the [www] link below).

Not saying that it's the best way to go - but if you plan to make your own manifold it's much easier to do 4 identical straight pipes than a bunch of bananas! (hides behind the barricade, waiting for the incoming missiles!)

geoffxt

posted on 16/8/09 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi David,
Thanks for the picture. You mention a www link but I couldn't see it?? The carbs look well and I can see where you appear to have modified the links between them. Do you find they give more zip than your old carbs. and also are they more economic?
Geoff.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/8/09 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
The WWW link is the blue button beneath my posts with www on it! - otherwise THIS LINKY.

As for the carbs - I used to have a Weber downdraft carb which used to give me decent power, but I could never get a decent tick-over below 1000 rpm and the car always stank of fuel after a run. Now with the bike carbs I can get a rock-steady idle down to 750 rpm, and the engine runs well and smoothly, Petrol consumption has improved a bit - as long as I keep my foot off the loud pedal, otherwise they're as bad as the old one!

Noise has increased, due to the intake roar. I could overcome that with an airbox and a ducted filter, but I'm not too bothered at the moment.

The biggest gain is that the carbs are probably 15 years younger than the old Weber, so I no longer get the stink of petrol after a run. They also much simpler, with fewer linkages and so on. They look much better too....

[Edited on 16/8/09 by David Jenkins]

geoffxt

posted on 16/8/09 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks David!
greed1

posted on 18/8/09 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
sorry to hijack but would the same suggested carbs work on a X Flow 1600 ported to 1700

thanks graham

Drive it stright sideways

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/09 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've got the CBR600 carbs on a 1660 x-flow.

greed1

posted on 18/8/09 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
what is tps and how do i know if it has it thanks

Drive it stright sideways

David Jenkins

posted on 18/8/09 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle Position Sensor - usually attached to the throttle spindle of the carbs. It's a plastic lump, usually rounded, with their 3 wires coming from it, or it will have a 3-way connector.

It's a potentiometer - one end connected to chassis, the other to a reference voltage, with the middle (wiper) returning a voltage between the two, according to its position.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.