Poll: Can anyone identify with this? [View Results]
yes
no
wtf?

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anyone identify with this?
stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/3/04 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can anyone identify with this?

Something I was emailed today :

Start with a cage containing five monkeys. Inside the cage, hang a banana on a string and place a set of stairs under it. Before long, a monkey will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the other monkeys with very cold high-pressure water. After a while, another monkey makes an attempt with the same result-all the other monkeys are sprayed with cold water. Pretty soon, when another monkey tries to climb the stairs, the other monkeys will try to prevent it.
Now, put away the cold water. Remove one monkey from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new monkey sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his surprise and horror, all of the other monkeys attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted. Next, remove another of the original five monkeys and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm!

Likewise, replace a third original monkey with a new one, then a fourth, then the fifth. Every time the newest monkey takes to the stairs, he is attacked. None of the monkeys that are beating him have any idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs or why they are participating in the beating of the newest monkey. After replacing all the original monkeys, none of the remaining monkeys have ever been sprayed with cold water. Nevertheless, no monkey ever again approaches the stairs to try for the banana. Why not?

Because as far as they know that's the way it's always been done around here. And that, my friends, is how company policy begins.

[Edited on 25/3/04 by stephen_gusterson]

ned

posted on 25/3/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
probs at work steve?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/3/04 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
probs at work steve?

Its been my experience in most of my 20+ years at work.

Its almost exactly what happened in my last co. They launched a product that bombed and heads rolled.

After that, very little was developed - it was safer for the powers that be.

So I left.

The co I work for now was bought by a competitor 6 weeks ago - any one of the 8 smileys could be inserted next

atb

steve

ray.h.

posted on 25/3/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Yes but the first co you worked for probably went bust,and the company that just took you over probably you would be an asset to there business
splitrivet

posted on 25/3/04 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
So were you the monkey that sprayed the other monkeys and was taken out of the cage Steve.

When I get hacked off at work I just go up the pub and get bladdered,not make up some 1000 word essay on monkey's.

Cheer up, I work for a right twat and I get cheesed off (Im self employed by the way)
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Mk-Ninja

posted on 25/3/04 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ive made a lucky escape from corporate hell, best move I ever made, Im ment to be my own boss now but she dosnt agree still a good move

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

dblissett

posted on 25/3/04 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
yes

i have worked for a very big company that works like that but the first monkey that get all the others wet gets promoted and the more monkeys he wets the more promotions come his way
dave

Deckman001

posted on 25/3/04 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Some religions work on the same principle as well

I'm a heathen by the way !!

Jason

stephen_gusterson

posted on 25/3/04 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, I didnt make that up. Its far too philosophical for me. I'd just swear a lot at somebody that was pi##ing me off.

It was emailed to me by someone who had been given it by a marketing consultant.

As far as the 'other' company is concerned, they are still in business, and owned by an even larger company.

My new role actually puts me developing new products for both companies. But I also have responsibilities providing tech sales support for my company which puts me in competition with our partner co that will also be selling stuff I have done.

Thats a pretty strange situation. Bit like volkswagen losing sales to skoda or seat.

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
So were you the monkey that sprayed the other monkeys and was taken out of the cage Steve.

When I get hacked off at work I just go up the pub and get bladdered,not make up some 1000 word essay on monkey's.

Cheer up, I work for a right twat and I get cheesed off (Im self employed by the way)
Cheers,
Bob

ray.h.

posted on 25/3/04 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
So if you do realy well for one company the other company might give you a hard time.No win situation,and i bet you don,t get two salaries.
macspeedy

posted on 26/3/04 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
you don't work for hp do you
geoffe

posted on 26/3/04 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
All sounds very like the oil industry!
dblissett

posted on 26/3/04 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
two lines

steve just do what vag have done and have on company make a no frills product (skoda) and one with all the latest bells and whistles (audi) its worked for me and its working for vag
that way one design can be used for two companies
ps the main design is normaly the same underneath all the crap.
good luck dave blissett

DEAN C.

posted on 26/3/04 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
My recent story is a bit different:all the other monkeys decided they didn't likethe big monkey.
All the monkeys pulled my name out of hat,I suddenly found myself at the top of the stairs eating banana.
Then suddenly someone kept dropping
piles of poo..
after finding it difficult to scream whilst sitting in poo all day I went and found another staircase to sit on for a while!

Oh yes I have had the pleasure of being my own boss in the past, for 8 years ,and the hardest boss of all to please is the one at home!
The only good thing is that after years of practice I can :a,Cover my backside
b,Handle stress like a Samaritan
c,Switch the phone off
d,Buy lots of flowers for home!

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

malcolmstoddart

posted on 26/3/04 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
" The beatings shall continue until morale improves....."
DEAN C.

posted on 27/3/04 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
You're not my (soon to be ex) M.D. are you in disguise?

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 28/3/04 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Actually, thats the way I see it too.

We have better products than the co that bought us! Prob was our previous owner managed to sell us to banks for about 2x more than we were worth. The result was the banks considered us a basket case for their investment, and the interest just kept growing. We were a profitable company, just couldnt satisfy the banks.

I lost 8,000 quid in shares too

atb

steve

quote:
Originally posted by dblissett
steve just do what vag have done and have on company make a no frills product (skoda) and one with all the latest bells and whistles (audi) its worked for me and its working for vag
that way one design can be used for two companies
ps the main design is normaly the same underneath all the crap.
good luck dave blissett

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.