Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: painting with a stick
oadamo

posted on 3/9/09 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
painting with a stick

heres a little write up on what i have found when i come to paint a car.after asking on here and looking around the net i didnt find much help, so i just bought the stuff and got on with it :d

heres what i got
2l gloss black Synthetic £12 per L

1l Synthetic thinner £5.00

5l standard thinner £6.50 to clean gun

paint gun £32

this is what i have found, there is no quick way to do this and get a good finish.

compressor
i only have a 25l compressor and its a pile of cak but for now it will have to do. i set the pressure to 60 psi, you need a filter to stop the water as i have found out. so if you are about to start without one (dont) you will make more work for yourself then its worth. but i did put the pipe over a beam in the unit to try and stop the water running up the pipe this did work.

spray gun
turn all the knobs to zero thats all the way in, the knob on the top is the paint flow turn 2 turns out and try from there. the knob on the side is for the fan of the paint, turn this just a bit to start with and test on a bit of paper or wall lol. i had the fan about 4in holding the gun about 10in away .

prep
start by sanding down with 800 grit paper on some of the panels i have just used scotch bright. the longer you spend preping the better the finish. before you spray make sure there are (no) bits on the panel, make sure there are no bits on the panels. make sure there are no bits of crap on the panels lol. wipe the panel with the (Synthetic) thinners then run your hand over the panel and i bet you still have bits.you have to take your time wiping down.

paint
right this paint i like treacle its really thick but you only need 10% thinners,you dont need a top coat of clear with this paint, i started off thick and thinned it down to suit, when i started adding the thinner the paint just started going from a thick guuu to a bit like water. adding a bit more thinners at a time. but you dont need this paint to be like water too spray it.

for the first coat just (dust) dont try to be a smart arse and try and do it in one. not that i did
then (wait) 20 mins inbetween coats.
i done 4 coats to get a nice finish.

i will be cutting the paint back after its dry to get it like glass. job done

its 1 in the morning iam off to bed lol

[Edited on 3/9/09 by oadamo]

RK

posted on 3/9/09 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds good! My experiences have not been good with this either, and I have the same gun. I set mine to 40 psi.

Good info on there though, especially about the water, and running the hose up high.

oadamo

posted on 3/9/09 at 07:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Sounds good! My experiences have not been good with this either, and I have the same gun. I set mine to 40 psi.

Good info on there though, especially about the water, and running the hose up high.

i found that i was getting small dots in the paint like a reaction but it was bits of water.
make sure you drain your compessor and blow the hose out before you start.
after i done all this i was getting a nice finish.
i am spraying the roof today but this has to be perfect because the car will look like crap else lol.ill let you no how i get on.
adam

BenB

posted on 3/9/09 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Nice write up- cheers.
Haven't used my spray gun in anger yet but might be tempted to have a play, save money on all those rattle cans...

ian86

posted on 3/9/09 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
theres lots of good info on mig-welding.co.uk

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/spray-painting.htm

wilkingj

posted on 3/9/09 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
The KEY information is in the middle of the article.
GOOD PREP work is VITAL.

Also no water in the airline!

You cant pay enough attention to the prep work. If you start with crap prep work, the finish can only be less than doing a good job on the preparation.
Same goes for welding!

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 3/9/09 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Now could someone post something that tells you what the different paints are, advantages / disadvantages / which will kill you?
blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
great write up the finish is a little bumpy there, i think maybe turning down the air pressure might help that. i forget what air pressure i used on that bonnet, but it was twice the pressure it should have been. i just forgot to turn it down...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

02GF74

posted on 3/9/09 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo

before you spray make sure there are (no) bits on the panel, make sure there are no bits on the panels. make sure there are no bits of crap on the panels lol. wipe the panel with the (Synthetic) thinners then run your hand over the panel and i bet you still have bits.you have to take your time wiping down.

you've not hesard of tack cloths then? these are small rag impregnted ewith some stuff - feels kinda waxy - that pick up the ickle bit without leaving gease or other contaminant on the surface.

I recommend them.

rsmith95uk

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
Like MikeR I would find a brief note on the pro's & cons of different paint types very useful!
oadamo

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
great write up the finish is a little bumpy there, i think maybe turning down the air pressure might help that. i forget what air pressure i used on that bonnet, but it was twice the pressure it should have been. i just forgot to turn it down...

i went for a thick finish so i could cut it back. i didnt want to go to thin with the paint just incase it run lol.
adam

oadamo

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo

before you spray make sure there are (no) bits on the panel, make sure there are no bits on the panels. make sure there are no bits of crap on the panels lol. wipe the panel with the (Synthetic) thinners then run your hand over the panel and i bet you still have bits.you have to take your time wiping down.

you've not hesard of tack cloths then? these are small rag impregnted ewith some stuff - feels kinda waxy - that pick up the ickle bit without leaving gease or other contaminant on the surface.

I recommend them.

the shop is miles away from where i am. i got back and couldnt be arsed to go back i was to keen to get painting lol. ill have to go back and get some.adam

Neil P

posted on 3/9/09 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure you can cut that paint back. I think it's a from the gun finish.

Neil

Danozeman

posted on 3/9/09 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Tack cloths are the way forward.

When i sprayed my locost i put the paint on thickish so i could flat it back and buff.

Still havent done it and i painted it at christmas. Theres a couple of runs and the finish is crap. 1200 grit and g3 will sort it.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mad-butcher

posted on 4/9/09 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
2 Pack: contains cyanide ,Great paint. ideal for killing off pesky rugrats and neighbours, not the slightest bit dangerous as long as you wear an air feed respirator, most definately powered by another compressor outside and in the fresh air. illegal to buy for automotive use but most paint suppliers have a notice up saying. Not for automotive use, ideal for doors, cabinets and shelving. very responsible I must say but what the hell,

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.