Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch?? Fixed!
ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch?? Fixed!

Just finished putting everythging back together and went to drive out the garage and couldnt get it in any gear Feels like the clutch wont dissengage whilst the engines running?? Pedal feels really hard and i cant get the bugger into gear? Evrey thing feels normal with engine turned off, pedals light and can find every gear... What could cause this, been chewing on with it all morning...

Could one of the clips have fell off the thrust bearing causing it to push on a wonk?

Any ideas appreciated, cheers

[Edited on 3/9/09 by ZetecNology]

r1_pete

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Engine / box / clutch / release mech details would be usefull.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry used to posting on a dif forum! Its a zetec with rs turbo cvh box and cable clutch

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the clutch friction plate is stuck to the drive plate. You should operate the clutch about once a month to prevent this when the cars being stored, especially in a damp garage.

To sort it, jack up one of the drive wheels and support it on a good axle stand. If you have a LSD you need to lift both sides so the car can't drive itself forward.

Put the car in third gear and start the engine. Then rev the car till the wheels are spinning quite fast, 50mph on the speedo should be fine.

Press in the clutch peddle and then slam on the brakes. They’ll hopefully be a clunk and the clutch will go back to normal. If not keep repeating the process till it breaks free.

I’ve done this many times in the past, sounds far more dramatic than it really is.

[Edited on 3/9/09 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the first time its run? If not, did it work before you stripped it? Have you had the clutch off or changed the clutch in any way? Did you put the driven plate in the right way around?

Give us a clue.

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just put the motor back in, was only the box thats been standing in the car. Would what your saying only happen if the box and engine are stored bolted together mr whippy?

And it was all running fine before i took motor out, havent changed any thing only unbolted engine from box.

Cheers

r1_pete

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZetecNology
Ive just put the motor back in, was only the box thats been standing in the car. Would what your saying only happen if the box and engine are stored bolted together mr whippy?

And it was all running fine before i took motor out, havent changed any thing only unbolted engine from box.

Cheers

It would happen if you left the clutch bolted to the engine, generally damp creeps in and causes sticksion, between the friction plate, flywheel and pressure plate.

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Well the clutch has been bolted to the lump, and its been stored in my damp garage for a few months so could be the problem, as i say i can find every gear with the engine not running.

Ill try that method! Fingers crossed

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Still no joy, tryed jacking up car, started it in third and wheels arnt even spinning. Soon as clutch is pressed wheels start spinning
blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZetecNology
Still no joy, tryed jacking up car, started it in third and wheels arnt even spinning. Soon as clutch is pressed wheels start spinning

eh? so the clutch works the wrong way?
is the clutch cable on the wrong side of the pedal?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
No just when clutch is pressed they spin gentally due to the lsd. But when you let the clutch out whether in gear or not they stop spinning.
ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
It could be the linkage? Stumped
ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Ehhhh. Just put it in fifth jacked it up. with clutch in wheels spin and speedo rises... release clutch and it falls out of gear???? Whats causing this???
blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
^ thats what i was meaning. if you press the clutch pedal the wheels should stop (LSD or not) or at least slow down. if its in gear and your foot isn't on the clutch the wheels should spin with the engine. i think your clutch cables not right

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a funny feeling the thrust bearing could be causing it...
blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
with the car on the ground, in gear, with the clutch pressed in, what happens?

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
with the car on the ground, in gear, with the clutch pressed in, what happens?

Started car. Put it in gear with no clutch... nothing.. pressed clutch whilst still in gear and car juddered forward... ???

blakep82

posted on 3/9/09 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
this is what i was saying earlier, you're getting drive to the wheels when you press the clutch in, which is wrong, and no drive when its not pressed. your clutch is operating completely the wrong way.

as you know it should move forward when you relese the clutch, and do nothing when its pressed.

also, as you know from driving, you can't put a car in gear out take it out of gear easily while theres drive to the back wheels.

theres something wrong with the clutch release arm or something. my clutch is hydraulic so i don't know what, but somethings been put on in the wrong order/wrong way round

[Edited on 3/9/09 by blakep82]

Breaker

posted on 3/9/09 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I also think you connected the clutch cable to the wrong side of the clutch release lever. Switch it around and try again.

Or you could drive your car while pressing the clutch pedal and release the pedal to switch gears....

MikeRJ

posted on 3/9/09 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Check that the cable is slack when the clutch pedal is relased. If the cable is adjusted too much it could be holding the clutch disengaged, and pushing the clutch pedal could be over-stroking the clutch which would cause some limited drive through it (i.e. thrust has pushed fingers so far back they are pushing friction plate into the flywheel).

[Edited on 3/9/09 by MikeRJ]

r1_pete

posted on 3/9/09 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
If you're using the dual mass flywheel, st170 clutch, and CVH box, then MikeRJ is probably right, the overall flywheel and clutch is too deep, and the thrust bearing is in the disengaged position at rest.

ZetecNology

posted on 3/9/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Check that the cable is slack when the clutch pedal is relased. If the cable is adjusted too much it could be holding the clutch disengaged, and pushing the clutch pedal could be over-stroking the clutch which would cause some limited drive through it (i.e. thrust has pushed fingers so far back they are pushing friction plate into the flywheel).

[Edited on 3/9/09 by MikeRJ]

Whoop whoop chicken soup, fixed it. Was auto adjuster on pedal, bugger had locked up.

Cheers everyone for the help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.