Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Registation queries
The Simmonds

posted on 5/9/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Registation queries

Hi there,

I've just finished building a Locost from the book and have finally passed my SVA test, now for registration, tax and insurance - lovely!

I just have a few queries:

TAX - I have a 1.6 sierra pinto engine fitted - how do I know how much tax is going to be for that (I don't know the emissions levels)?

INSURANCE - I am only 19 years old and so insurance isn't going to be cheap. Does anyone know the best companies to try and the best ways to go about doing things?

TIME! - Between taking the forms to my local DVLA office, roughly how long will it take to before getting road legal?! I can't wait now...

Lastly, can I just thank everyone on this site for all there help and advice over the past 4 and a half years - it's been invaluable. I really appreciate the effort that people put in to help their fellow enthusiasts out.

Many thanks,

Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Flamez

posted on 5/9/09 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
TAX, on the form write N/A [SVA date] they will then utilise that data

my build mac1motorsports

james h

posted on 5/9/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well done!

It has taken me about 2 weeks from going to the DVLA office to me getting my plates - although with any luck it will be sooner for you (the guy who deals with kit cars was on holiday at the Preston office).

As for insurance, I am nearly 21 and pretty much the only company who would quote me was Adrian Flux. However, I think footman james could be an option (they wouldn't quote me because my car is bike engined).

I actually got a letter today from Adrian Flux telling me they wouldn't accept proof of my no claims bonus (I thought I might get some proof of no claims as I have been a named driver for almost 4 years without claiming). They are now telling me my insurance premium is going up to £1944 from £770 I will ring them on Monday to see if going 3rd party will reduce the premium at all.

James

The Simmonds

posted on 5/9/09 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
noway, good luck with that mate!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 5/9/09 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

£1944 from £770

Thats hell of a jump. Are you taking your no claims from your tin top then?

Id be straight on the phone wanting to know why that jump!!

Anyway as for tax i reckon itl be 190 quid a year. Thats what mine is on a 1.8 zetec.

mine took a week from sva to the plates being on. Bu tit all depends whether your local office knows what theyr doing.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

nstrug

posted on 5/9/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Current PLG VED rates (which are used for all amateur build vehicles) are:

less that 1549cc £125
more than 1549cc £190

The VED emissions rating of the original donor vehicle is irrelevant.

Nick

james h

posted on 5/9/09 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
quote:

£1944 from £770

Thats hell of a jump. Are you taking your no claims from your tin top then?

Id be straight on the phone wanting to know why that jump!!

Anyway as for tax i reckon itl be 190 quid a year. Thats what mine is on a 1.8 zetec.

mine took a week from sva to the plates being on. Bu tit all depends whether your local office knows what theyr doing.

I was a named driver on my dads policy. Seeing as some companies apparently do allow named drivers to gather no claims bonuses, I thought I would be ok if I demonstrated I hadn't claimed on the tintop.

But seriously though, just because the money for the tintop insurance doesn't come directly from my bank account I get penalised by £1200!! Madness

Come rain or shine though, I WILL be getting some insurance. I will probs have to reduce cover just to 3rd party.

James

coozer

posted on 5/9/09 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Your tax will be £190, over 1500cc
Insurance, well its pot luck put insuring a kit car should be cheaper than a tintop, try 2tegher??
Registration, now, I went down to the DVLA office 3 days after SVA, sat in the Q with the number and when it was my turn plonked all the forms and receipts on the counter and said I wanted to register a car. A few seconds of blank silence then into gear, walked out 20 minutes later with reg, tax and legal to go. That was Stockton DVLA by the way. Kelly's your Saviour..

If i'd had my insurance on the day of SVA I would have had the lot then.. I called into the office on the way back from SVA and not having insurance was the only reason I didn't get it done all in one day.

Good luck,
Steve

[Edited on 5/9/09 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Stuart_B

posted on 6/9/09 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
hi, i am 18 now, but insured my kitcar at 17, with a 1.6 pinto in it, and it is £1024 from footman james, and adrian fkux wanted £2700, so i am insured with footman james. i had to insure it on the chassis number first and footman james done this realy quickly.

the tax, is now 190.

the dvla i think, once i got the car inspecte i had the plates the next day, but had to wait 2weeks for a space.

good luck and enjoy it.

stuart

joemotion

posted on 6/9/09 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
try glynwoods for insurance of your locost - my tiger was insured for £130 fully comp but i am 30 - worth a try though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.